Recent Incident - What did I do wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speedhound-

Since Glitch has not yet posted to defend himself, allow me to point out a little more subtly what fishbOy was digging into you about....

Where exactly did you see anything in Glitch's post that would lead you to believe he was diving without a buddy. I saw no mention of a buddy at all, including that he didn't have one. I did see him mention that his dad pointed out his bleeding ear and nose. Wouldn't you think it might be reasonable to assume that his dad was pointing this out to him because that was his buddy?

On the Nitrox/Trimix question/dig above, you said you didn't see any mention of Nitrox or Trimix in Glitch's post. Neither did I. Nor of buddy skills, or diving solo.

Food for thought.

I think speedhound's intentions were good. I read the post as Glitch swam to the boat to find his Dad who told him... Hopefully, Glitch is at the ENTs office and that's why he hasn't responded.

gangrel441:
speedhound-

Since Glitch has not yet posted to defend himself, allow me to point out a little more subtly what fishbOy was digging into you about....

Where exactly did you see anything in Glitch's post that would lead you to believe he was diving without a buddy. I saw no mention of a buddy at all, including that he didn't have one. I did see him mention that his dad pointed out his bleeding ear and nose. Wouldn't you think it might be reasonable to assume that his dad was pointing this out to him because that was his buddy?

On the Nitrox/Trimix question/dig above, you said you didn't see any mention of Nitrox or Trimix in Glitch's post. Neither did I. Nor of buddy skills, or diving solo.

Food for thought.
I read Glitch's post as if he were diving, and returning to the boat where his dad was. His dad subsequently pointed out bleeding. If I misread the post, I apologise.

Fishb0y mentioned Nitrox/Trimix. I just said that Glitch didn't mention any problems with his gas (whatever gas/air it was).

Other than commenting on the need for a buddy, I didn't make any comment on buddy skills or solo diving. (The rationale of a new diver not diving solo was implied.)
As with most foods that pass my way, I'm happy to have a taste :D
No offence taken, none meant :wink:

speedhound:
Fishb0y mentioned Nitrox/Trimix. I just said that Glitch didn't mention any problems with his gas (whatever gas/air it was).

I think that fishbOy's point was that Glitch didn't mention anything about diving without a buddy, either. Perhaps a smiley was omitted somewhere. :D

No harm, no foul. Maybe we'll hear the clarification from Glitch shortly. Cheers!

I did go see the doctor about 2 hours after the first post, I have a hole in my right eardrum (tampanic membrane) it has already started healing and should take about two weeks, I'm also in perfect health :D . I wasn't able to respond because I do not have internet access at home at the present time.

Unfortunately I was diving alone, its hard to come by any scuba diving people around in my parts. Please don't FLAME me.

I did not have vertigo at the bottom, but I may have had it on the way up.

I think the problem is with the wetsuit that I'm wearing, the hood part, I saw one suggestion on how to stop this problem from happening again is there any other suggestions?

Thank you for any further suggestions and ones previous.

Glad to hear you're on the mend :wink:

PS Have you taken a look at the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew sub-forum? Might find buddies in there.

Any suggestions on how to prevent it in the future?

Any comment would be great, thank you.

well, right now the likely culprit is a too-tight hood that might have interfered
with your ears equalizing normally on the way up, leading to baurotrauma.
since your ears control balance, the dizziness and vertigo followed.

i would say don't wear the hood next time and see what happens.

if you were stuffy and/or congested, your body may be trying to tell you something
about your tolerance for diving like that (i.e. not much)

also, be aware that some people are just particularly sensitive to these problems,
and some of them bleed on every dive, believe it or not. the whole in the ear
and the vertigo/dizziness is a bit too much, though.

One suggestion/request (after some PM'ing)- Glitch is looking for a dive buddy/group. He's in central Wisconsin - Wausau area. Anyone know of anyone to help? I would, but the commute from SE OH is inconvenient?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom