Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprised that none of the regulars responded to this request. I was up on Saturday the 7th doing some Tec training off of the Diver Down on the old dam and noticed several groups diving at the Point. According to the gate person she felt it may have been closed for the fireworks display on the 3rd of July however it is open for business now. By the way visibility and conditions were great on the dam!

Does the Diver Down have a regular schedule that they are out at the lake? Can anyone sign up, or are they affiliated with a dive shop?

Jpassov,

Generally the Diver Down is scheduled out of El Mar Dive Center however we do schedule time on the boat when it is not booked with other groups. Well worth the cost, it is the best and most relaxing way to dive the lake. Plus it is a low cost way to get some experience with boat diving if you have only done shore diving at the lake before you head out some where more exotic. Doug, the owner, is a very nice guy with a wealth of knowledge and goes out of his way to make your diving experience enjoyable.

Hey Capt. Pete or anyone - what is the visibility distance and water temp at Lake Pleasant? I'm thinking about going the weekend of 7/14 or 7/21. Also, does anyone know the process/cost to do boat diving in Lake Pleasant?

Last weekend viz was still well over 15'. Water temps above the thermocline are 80'ish and the temps below are mid 60's.

If you need a dive buddy, I make trips out to the lake a couple times a week when I can and am always up for some company.

Last weekend we dived a small cove near Two Cow cove. Not sure of the name. It was just around the point from where a number of classes were going on ( that was probably Two Cows, I think).
this was a very nice place, vis was about 20feet if nobody silted it up. There were lots of children playing with rubber rafts but only had a couple of jet skiers violate the dive flag the entire day.
temperatures down to 40 feet were in the low 70s with top water in the 86 degree range.
I was doing stuff for my dive master course and got a bit chilled while playing the victim in 25 feet of water for 25 minutes at 74 degrees but I only wore my 3ml.
Had a great time watching two crayfish clean out their little house, pulling out clawfulls of rocks and mussel shells. Amazing what you can see if you float in one spot without moving long enough! Also saw a decent sized striped bass and lots of baby striped bass schools.
This is a nice teaching area, not crowed, some interesting bottom structure, nothing over about 40 feet deep, but gets down to 25 feet right off-shore.
We're going back this weekend, probably Saturday, to map it for our mapping exercise.
Any helpful hints for the mapping assignment appreciated.

Whats the Conditions for end of July, Early August?

Hi, Tanner! Visibility was pretty poor last weekend. We dived a different cove, one over from the weekend before. I think the rain Saturday night caused the bad visibility, plus the water levels were much lower than a week ago. I think there was probably at least 10 feet of shoreline that had been underwater the previous weekend.
i would say via was between 10 feet at best and 1 foot at worst. ( couldn't see my computer on my wrist a few times). Temperature was 80 degrees above the thermocline and 77 at the thermocline. I didn't ever go below 48 feet so can't tell you temperature down below the thermocline. I didn't have a drysuit or thick wetsuit on, so I wasn't going there. Not to mention it was just too dark and murky last weekend.
If you want to go diving sometime, just ask next time you see me at the shop or send me a PM. Maybe we can try Canyon lake, since it's so close. Although, I heard the visibility there is always really poor.
Tracy

Back
Top Bottom