Recent near miss in Bahamas found on YouTube!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alpanian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Check this one out:

YouTube - Diving Accident Potential For A Bad Outcome Bahamas 12/12/08

Two beginners heading to 150ft, DM dissapears. Thankfully for them, an alert diver notices something is fishy.

I wonder if that taught them a lesson!?

It does make me wonder how I would have reacted had I been the one obesrving them. I'm only recently certified PADI Advanced (30 dives). Not sure I would have had the guts to do something about it...

Last edited:
Geesh...150 feet!!! Who the heck certified them? probably one of those new online certifications...

I'm not convinced thats legit. If this was a real life threatening situation who would take the time to shoot the computer screen every few seconds?

The movie has obviously been edited and portions cut out. That may be why you get the impression he is filming the computer all the time. I think he chose those bits specifically in the editing.

Actually, what has me wondering, is that they went from 150 to 15ft in 2min! The guy certainly risked his own health doing that manoever.

150 to 15 ft. If this is legit and they are beginners I could understand the lack of control on ascent but come on ... 150ft. with beginners.

Was that a stuart cove rental Wetsuit on the video? Having gone there three times, I've always found them a safe dive company. Something was very wrong on that dive. There was always a dive leader in the front and another in the back following the slowest diver on every dive that I was on. I would love to hear the full story.

In the defense of instructors we might take a moment to remember they have 0 control over what people do outside of class. Each diver is free to make their own (even if stupid) choices.

In the defense of instructors we might take a moment to remember they have 0 control over what people do outside of class. Each diver is free to make their own (even if stupid) choices.

Posted via Mobile Device
I agree - artificial intelligence is no match for natural born stupidity.

I guess some people are deficient in the self-preservation department.

WOW...Real video or not as a New diver I will remember the importance of keeping an eye on my gauges. I do check them often still have that nervousness when diving, so I'm looking constantly. But something to help continue to drive that be aleart to your skill level and equipment home. Great Video

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom