Recently certified at age 58

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I do not have the strength to carry my own equipment. Does anyone have recommendations for exercises that will help me gain strength so that I can carry my equipment and tank? I hate having to depend on other people to schlep my stuff.

The obvious thing to suggest is to carry it a little bit at a time. Make multiple trips to the car if you have to.

Just hitting the gym and using the weight lifting machines should be enough to gain the strength you need and it won't take long if you start doing it a few times a week.

R..

If your SAC is low you could switch to 50 cf cylendar.

I see Santa Monica so guessing wet suit diving. Are you overweighted?

Are you doing surf entry? That can be exhausting. Perhaps try boat diving until you build strength?

Short trip out to Catalina Island there is reasonably easy entry diving.

Longer trip to south Baha or Caribbean where you can use less insulation and thus less weight.

I got certified at age 62 with my brother in law who was 67. We both have really bad backs, so he got a nice wagon that we can use to pull the stuff to as close to the water as possible (for shore dives) and then bring it the rest of the way piece by piece. For boat dives we find an operator who will gladly lift and load for us. I work out on a weight machine and can lift my bag (back pack style with shoulder straps) to my shoulders if it's first resting on something about waist high. Can carry it enough to get it to my car, where I sit on the back fender and let the bag drop into the trunk. The really hard part is bringing all that wet stuff back home when it's 20 lbs heavier (at least it sure feels that way). And lifting those tanks into the car after a dive. The older I get, the better really warm water diving with a boat operator sounds, as that means packing and carrying less weights and less exposure suit and no tank.

Tanya, At 60 yrs & 5'1" I share your concerns. In addition, I have an "iffy" back, so I make certain that I am carrying my gear correctly (posture), or I will have issues later. As others have said, we (my husband & I) only warm water dive & so have lighter/less gear. Yet, we mostly shore dive; so I carry the wt pouches/mask/ dsmb down separately from the tanks/bc/fins. Where I align the straps onto my tank also matters to my back (wt distribution) when walking a distance to the water. I make sure it is right "for me". I also always ask the dive shop we will be using, in advance (when planning the trip), if they have 63cu Nitrox tanks available for rent. If so, I arrange to use them; they seem to greatly lighten/better balance the load rather than the 80s. Some shops have taken extra steps to obtain them for me, which is MUCH appreciated. (I use less air than my husband, so the small 63s still works really well for me. It would depend on your air usage). When my back is worse, my husband will "lug" my gear down for me, but I prefer doing it myself as much as possible; yet there are days he places the tank/bc in the water for me & I just put it on.
Also, I see you have a couple dozen dives logged. Do make a conscious effort to reduce the lead wt you carry to only what is necessary (as others have said). I am now carrying 8# for shore diving, with 9/10# boat, swell, current diving. For whatever reason, on my first cert boat/ocean dives, I was set up with 16#. It was too much, made for difficult neutral buoyancy, & was really difficult to walk - geared up. I'm not sure where you are with that, but worth a consideration.
When boat diving, I ask in advance to be seated toward the back of the boat, so I don't have to walk as far in loaded gear. And if I am having a bad-back day, I request assistance from the crew with my water exit (removing my gear first, in water & handing it up). The boat crews have always been great & we tip extra for their help.
Lastly, I work hard to keep myself as physically fit as possible, including diet (biking, walking, sit-ups, push ups, planks, yoga, etc). I figure, when I am wet & fully loaded with gear, the last thing I need is to lug around another 10#s of my own excess fat! lol. Some sort of routine excercise is beneficial. Welcome to diving - it's magical! (I started late as well, at age 50). :D PS. If relative strangers are assisting you with your gear, offer to tip them (& have it available), or show your appreciation verbally. The dive community is generally very helpful & inclusive. If you are doing your best, taking steps to be independent, and appreciative, this should weigh heavily in your favor. :)

Last edited:
Welcome! I got certified last year at age 47. I have bad knees/sciatica. I either boat dive or dive at our local quarry. At the quarry, wheels are my friend. I have one of those collapsible wagons and they make all the difference. Not sure about conditions where you dive, but use a cart if possible.

Oh, and do some low impact workouts. Swimming or perhaps even snorkeling your laps (what I do). I worked up to mile of laps twice a week. Got to a level of fitness where I can climb the ladder on a boat or to the quarry dock with just some assistance from pulling up on my tank valve. I unclip my pony and hand it up.

@Tanya Cavaness-Heldman , where did you get certified, and where do you plan on diving?

Where you got certified can help us understand what your current experience has been. Where you plan on diving can help us understand what your expectations are.

The more info we get, the better targeted the advice can be.

If you're doing beach dives, hiking has been a good exercise for me. I've heard cycling is really good as well.

@Tanya Cavaness-Heldman First let me congratulate you for becoming a diver. Others above have given you nice advice so will not repeat it here.

You can also use one of these to help you take the gear. Also don't be afraid to ask other divers to help. Most of us divers are very nice and more than happy to help.

I hate having to depend on other people to schlep my stuff.

Don't feel bad about it.

The last thing you want to do is injure yourself or tire yourself out before a dive. I have no issues helping anyone of any age or gender carry heavy gear, and neither should any of your dive group members who are physically capable of doing so.

Getting a wagon is a great idea. Share it with your dive buddies and let them load/unload it. If you still feel bad, bring stuff that you can share with others - clean towels, anti-fog, food and drink.

Avoid shore dives and stick to boat dives. Boat dives are generally much better anyway.

In conclusion, don't find creative ways to push your physical limits. Strength building exercises are great for many reasons, but being able to lift 60-70 lb scuba gear by yourself is not one of them. Doing boat dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom