Recognizing Potential Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP called the dive because he wasn't happy with the situation. He was right.

I am saying that it is bad form to challenge anyone for calling a dive, for any reason.
I couldn't disagree with you on that. And yes, my response may have come across as being more critical of his action than it should have.

But as long as your buddy is paying attention to you, and has your best interests in mind and calls a dive, you can't ask for more than that.
Again, agreed.

No sir, buddies can call for any reasons, including reasons that pertain to you, whether you like it or not.

Thats right :wink:

Big Jim Slade:

Good call. Being able and willing to call a dive that you feel is not going well, for any reason is the mark of a mature, safe diver.

Don't second guess yourself now, or in the future. If the dive doesn't "feel" right, chances are that something is wrong. Thumb the dive.

You actually waited longer than I may have.... the 2nd time your buddy cramped, I probably would have turned the dive. He was not having a good day, was maybe too proud to call the dive himself.... which is something to keep in mind if you ever find the situation reversed.... don't push a "problem" dive in the hope that things will get better (they may not) or to avoid letting down your buddy.

Best wishes.

Good call. When it comes to looking out for others, I try to choose the decision I will never have to regret.

I think the thing we call "wisdom" is learning to trust our instincts, and improving those instincts through experience. Too often, people who don't trust their instincts never get another chance.

good call by the op a diver could be suffering from stress without even realising they are stressed themselves as tunnel vision sets in

When in doubt...surface...good job!

Quite often the person wearing the problem has the worst view of it. Whether it is unusual behavior or a poorly routed hose, it falls to the buddy to see it and act appropriately.

Good call.

Given that you acted as your buddies bcd and babysitter for five minutes his question appears simple or lacking experience or experienced in buddies own head or he really thought he was OK or identical to others points in relation to I dont want to be responsible for spoiling someone elses fun no matter what, dive methology. It only takes seconds for things to happen in the head then bad physical things to happen then escalate as we all should know or have hopefully read somewhere or been taught. That being said OP unless you have given buddy a book marked at page Psychological effects how to realise observe things happening before they happen chapter you have neglected your extra curricular post dive procedures. Anyway someone else invented the next jumble and I don't see the relevance here but
"In diving, quitting is the unforgivable sin!
Quitting in a life threatening circumstance leaves one alternative - death!
Continuing, regardless of the odds, provides the option of survival!"
Me again, Calling is NOT quitting.
I think? rookies should find mentors and mentor themselves and try to iron out any problems before prematurely calling and keep a dive going good experience. Not the OPs dive. It's everyones call. Ha ha ha. Anyway you can always go down again or later or another time. Why let diving immitate life. Go back to rookie its cleaner than that other rubbish. Or like over here we don't call new divers anything unless they are rubbish.
I also think? that unless the dive is real tech cave wreck the caller can be called and that don't call the caller applys to criticizing on dry land or wet land or wet boat after the dive in front of 128 people to no advantage. All divers should leave their bag of crap on shore and behave like they are talking to their mother-father or bank manager but with a bit more spine. I was behind a buddy in 40 or 50 feet of rough water one day and gave him the, out of, and he almost poked me in the face with his primary, air signal. On the odd occasion we dive together we do it separately unless we are doing something together.
They have taken away the pew phew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom