Recommend a decent LED "back up" or daytime use light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How close are the 'light off under pressure' and 'head unscrewed' points?

I usually turn them 180 degrees off. If you just turn till the light turns off on the surface then at about 60' they will turn back on. But with the full half turn they can't turn on regardless of pressure.

As far as not turning them on under water, I would say that's being overly cautious. Technically the orings are not designed to work while being twisted like that so the chances for flood are much higher. But I don't worry about it. I keep the orings "lightly" coated with silicone and never think twice.

I can't speak to the light that Dano posted, but I have a couple of other Mako products and they're excellent, he's a sponsor here, and is a good dude.

Mako stuff is good.

DGX stuff is good. I have 2 of the DGX600 lights.

But, for lights, I strongly prefer the Xtar D26, which I also have 2 of. The D26 goes for about $63 on eBay. It's the same LED as is used in the DGX600 and (I think) the Mako light. It uses a 26650 battery and offers really nice burn times. Plus, it has 4 intensity levels, so you can dim it down and get many hours of burn time, if you want. And the push button on/off is magnetic and you can twist it to lock it, preventing accidental on or off.

I like the Big Blue because it puts out plenty of light for your purpose and uses 3 x AAA batteries.

I like the Big Blue because it puts out plenty of light for your purpose and uses 3 x AAA batteries.
I have the Big Blue CF450 with 3x AAA. I like its tight and variable angle beam, but replaced it with the smaller DGX600. I just ordered a 18500 battery for it as playing with a 14500 battery worked. Leaving it completely on the shelf seems a shame, and I get tired of buying AAA's. 18650 is too tall, nor was I sure if 25500 would fit.

I have both Halycon LED Scout and Scout LED mini. Both good bright lights. :)

If they weren't so pricey, I would have two, and my wife would have two (we buy everything in pairs so our gear is interchangeable). I like the time-honored combination in a backup light of a twist-on/off head and alkaline batteries.

I have the Big Blue CF450 with 3x AAA. I like its tight and variable angle beam, but replaced it with the smaller DGX600. I just ordered a 18500 battery for it as playing with a 14500 battery worked. Leaving it completely on the shelf seems a shame, and I get tired of buying AAA's. 18650 is too tall, nor was I sure if 25500 would fit.
Well, don't tell anyone, but I fill mine up with Ni-MH rechargeables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom