Recommend a strobe set for compact camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am shooting a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 in an Ikelight housing. I want to get an entry level strobe that is easy to use and works with this camera but is flexible and would work with another camera when and if I upgrade. What I really need is a little more distance on my shots. The built in flash ALMOST handles macro, but if my subject is more than a foot or two away, I need way more light. Any recommendations??

Can’t go wrong with Inon s2000

Can’t go wrong with Inon s2000

And when you're ready to upgrade, you just add a 2nd one! That's my current setup with a TG-4, tray, & 2 S2000's!

Ditto on INON strobes.

I've shot a pair of Inon S2000 units for 4 years and also a single INON Z330 if you want more power and maybe only one flash to deal with.

They'll last you many many set ups. The small S2000 units are a breeze to travel with also.

Search my posts for sample pics using a pair of INON S2000 units and my Canon G7X II compact in a Fantasea housing (full disclosure I'm a Fantasea dealer and ACTUAL user.)

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
davidhaas4596@gmail.com

IMG_8740.jpg IMG_8374.jpg IMG_8325.jpg

I'll lose all the pros with this question -- but: how good is the full-auto TTL on the S2000?

I'm not looking for wall-mural pro-quality -- but on-board flashes are giving me too much snow and not enough juice, and I'm too lazy for the 3-5 shots necessary to bracket in decently with a full-manual DS50.

I'll lose all the pros with this question -- but: how good is the full-auto TTL on the S2000?
Never used manual, never been a misfire with TTL. I used to have a sea&sea ys-01 and that misfired a few times with my old canon s200.

With canon g7x I use manual camera settings as that mode can still support TTL to the strobe

lairdb,

As hsinhai says STTL on Inon strobes works very good. On the beautifully small Inon S2000 you can leave the top center triangular shaped control in B (middle STTL output) and then dial a bit of over / under FLASH output easier by adjusting the camera's flash. I do this with my Canon G7X II with a MY MENU tab you can save frequently used adjustments.

The 3 shots included above were all shot on STTL including the manta at night in the Maldives!)

The only down side shooting STTL is your camera battery will last maybe 125 -150 shots depending on how close you are to your subject and f-stop you choose.

Shoot too far away and not fill the frame with something the flash output can "bounce" off back to your camera. That causes your camera's flash to "quench" and decrease the output to not overexpose the shot. Shoot too far away or close the f-stop too much and your camera flash may dump a FULL power flash each shot :(

I've also experimented with manual settings. On my Canon G7X II I dial down my flash in a MENU to 1/3 with no "pre-flash" output. This give much faster recycle time between shots plus more shots per camera battery.

You then MANUALLY select a power output on your Inon strobe. Do some test shots at 2', 3' nd maximum maybe 4' away.

Pre-setting shutter speed, f-stop and ISO I then adjust one parameter, ISO resulting in a faster adjustment than playing with strobe power adjustments.

I still use both STTL and manual flash and Inon strobes give you the capability to do so!

Just one old guy's opinion :)

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.

I'm not looking for wall-mural pro-quality -- but on-board flashes are giving me too much snow and not enough juice, and I'm too lazy for the 3-5 shots necessary to bracket in decently with a full-manual DS50.

I use dual YS-01 on stupid mode and I think they are great. I hate fiddling during a dive and these have worked very well with my TG6 for numerous quality pix

I'll be using Innon D-200 with TG-5 for the first time in June/July I'll let you know how it goes. Why this vs. S-2000, Target / macro video light, slightly more powerful, not much more money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom