Recommend Cancun Dive Outfit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny-Louise

Reaction score
Greetings from Boulder Colorado! We recently got our open water certification (last October) at a resort in Mexico. Probably not the best way to go; although we had discussed SCUBA for years, I think this was a bit too impulsive. We found out just what a bad idea it was when we tried our first dive without our instructor last February; we booked a SCUBA excursion in Puerto Vallarta through Vallarta Adventure (run away!). They were incompetent and we made several beginners’ mistakes. It was so bad, that I am having a hard time making myself go back in the water. I did take a refresher course here in town but now I’m taking my husband to Cancun for his birthday and would like to go diving but I’m really afraid. Can anyone recommend a good outfit that knows how to take care of novice divers?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Louise

Louise,

Obviously I work here in the dive industry in Cancun, so without telling you where I work and giving you a sales pitch, there are two types of dive operation in Cancun. One VERY large one and a whole load of little ones.

If I was you, when you get here have a look at both types and see what you like. The BIG one has lots of real dive boats, many staff, good equipment, and a lot of happy clients. The smaller ones have little boats, but pride themselves on more personal service, and are used more often by the more experienced divers that shun the larger groups.

If all else fails, when you get here or before, email or PM me and I will let you splash around and blow bubbles in my pool for free until you feel comfortable enough to head out to the reef, whether it is with the company I work for or not...

Thanks Mark! (I am assuming your first name is not Cancun)

This is going to be a quickie so I would like nail down the details before I get there. Once I'm on vacation I like to:

Play
Eat
Drink
Sleep

Anyway... of the two... which would you recommend for Novice divers?

Thanks again,
Louise

P.S. You can email me at danny-louise@earthlink.net

cancun mark:
Louise,

Obviously I work here in the dive industry in Cancun, so without telling you where I work and giving you a sales pitch, there are two types of dive operation in Cancun. One VERY large one and a whole load of little ones.

If I was you, when you get here have a look at both types and see what you like. The BIG one has lots of real dive boats, many staff, good equipment, and a lot of happy clients. The smaller ones have little boats, but pride themselves on more personal service, and are used more often by the more experienced divers that shun the larger groups.

If all else fails, when you get here or before, email or PM me and I will let you splash around and blow bubbles in my pool for free until you feel comfortable enough to head out to the reef, whether it is with the company I work for or not...

I think Mark is referring to Aquaworld as being "the big one" in Cancun. I haven't dove with them, as I prefer the more advanced service of the little guys.

I have dove with the bigger ops in Cayman, though. In my opinion, they cater more to the newer divers, with higher dm-to-diver ratios, easier dives, and a bit smoother operations. (The little guys that I dive with, especially in Coz, always seem a bit more unorganized.) However, you will probably be diving in a large group, and your dive time will probably be limited to the diver with the worst air consumption.

If you want a great dive, though, get some more experience under your belt, and hook up with Manta divers for their day excursion to the cenotes outside Playa. Incredibly pretty (unforgettable) dives, and they'll treat you to a local's favorite restaurant for a great meal afterwards. Manta divers is also US-owned, if it matters any. You do need excellent bouyancy control and the frog kick mastered to do a cenote dive, though. Also, many here will tell you to not do these dives until you get cavern certified, as they are cavern dives--educate yourself thoroughly before signing up for this.

Just my .02.

Thanks Allen!

For Mark, Allen, or anyone:

I have finally been able to touch base with the woman who certified us when we were at a resort in Tulum. She is now with Akumal Dive Shop... ever heard of them? It adds to the cost of the dive (renting a car to get to Akumal) but it might be worth it to dive with someone I know won't let me die. :wink:

Allen is right, the larger ops will do everything for you, but like I said, you may be on a large boat with lots of people. The smaller ops leave you much more to your own devices, let you make more of the decisions and remember your name.

If you know someone in akumal, it will take less than an hour and a half to get there by car from Cancun HZ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom