Recommend dive op that allows bubblewatcher/snorkeler 11 year old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sladerer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been reading up on the ops but haven't seen anything written about having a younger child along. 4 of us traveling to Oahu/Maui 7/12-22, 3 of us certified. Any operators that are cool with an 11 year old riding along and maybe doing a little snorkeling around the boat or might have crew that would swim with him?

For the diving part, wife and I are over 100 dives in all kinds of locales (warm and cold), 18 year old at 20 dives but good in the water for that little experience - all 3 also have Nitrox cert.

Thanks!

Have you thought about getting the 11 year old out for an Intro Dive? It's a great way to experience SCUBA and you could possibly all dive together as a family. I get lot's of mixed groups like this all the time and it turns out to be a lot of fun for everyone.

Doug,

The 11 year old went through SSI's Scuba Ranger program last year and has done all of the skills,
I'm just not convinced he's fully cognizant of what real OW diving means. I completed DiveCon
training in February and have been working with my local shop - maybe I'm being a little
conservative but I just don't think he's ready for a real OW dive. I'm sure he'd be safe with
me, it's the reverse that I'm not convinced of at this point and I believe that's is just as
important. That said, I hadn't really considered the "try Scuba" or "Adventure" idea - I may
have to give that a little more thought.

Meantime, we've had numerous Ops over the last couple years set up to in a way to comfortably
handle the swim/snorkel during our dives, just wondering if any of the shops on Oahu/Maui are
set up to do this.

Thanks.

The 10 year old I took out today had a blast with his certified Dad. We put a "50" on him. It was his first time ever. If your kid has already done the SCUBA Ranger stuff he's gonna really wish he was diving instead of snorkeling. The diving here can be pretty easy if conditions are good. Our open water stuff can almost be "pool like" some days, just filled with fish and critters. And realistically the SCUBA is probably safer and easier than the snorkeling he would do trying to follow you guys around. I know what you mean about your being conservative. Many parents worry (I'd say "too much") about their kids on dives. My experience tells me they shouldn't. Leave the worrying up to the DM or Instructor leading the dive. Basically stay out of the way, check out the reef and both of you will have a lot more fun when it's all said and done.

Many boats offer what you are looking for. Some will only give up the spaces if there aren't enough divers to fill the boat. Check these Maui ops: B&B SCUBA or Dive and Sea Maui. Both have great service and lots of happy clients.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks again. We are definitely considering some shore dive during our Maui stay (just above Kaanapali area) - what do you think? I definitely want to get out to Molokini one day and hear
Lanai or Molokai would be great boat dives as well.

theres only one person I would refer you to with a kid that young and its only cause her son was diving with her as soon as he was of legal age.Her name is Kirsten she works for surf and sea.North Shore,on Oahu.she is one of the best if not "the best" instructor her on the Island when it comes to dealing with new divers, the big question really would be are you going to be able to let her do her job,which would mean you letting go for the dive, which is a hard thing for any parent to do. (808)637-9887 they do mostly shore dives in north shore, or boat dives in honolulu. but you should ask for Kirsten for your dive leader.

My 12 year old daughter just got certified on Maui. She did her first Intro dive as a shore dive at the Westin Kaanapali Villas at 10 years old. She loved it! I would suggest making sure that whomever you use has 1 on 1 with the child in the water. Good Luck OND

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom