Recommend Redundant Air Supply Tank Size & Setup for Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

full.jpg

I'll keep a lookout for a smaller wing around #30, or a sidemount. This should be fine for a few initial backplate dives, but I'm always a fan of streamlining my setup where possible.... with a little patience as to not blow money too quickly. On the bright side, I'll develop a little experience with how good or terrible oversized wings are (haha).

I have 2 40s, 2 30s, and a 19. The 19 is my bicycle/car bottle for topping up tires.
Do the math to figure out what you need to get you to the surface from your deepest depth with a 3-5 min safety stop at 2x your normal SAC rate.

I use 40s primarily because I had them from my tech diving days. One benefit though to consider for a larger bottle is I don't need it to be full to be perfectly suitable redundant air source for the recreational dives I do these days. I use my pony to shoot my DSMB and occasionally to inflate tires. Given that they slowly lose air even without being used as an air source. However, I rarely have to get a fill between annual VIPs. Partly because I have two AL40s and partly because they are perfectly suitable pony bottles even at 1/2 full.

Just skip the pony and go straight to sidemount.

Sidemount on shallow dives <30m/100' is perfect with a couple of 7 litre or even better the thin 8.5 litre cylinders. Full redundancy, perfect trim, incredible streamlining.

There’s a stack of other benefits to sidemount such as the kit is lighter (individual tins), you can dive in pretty much any orientation (up, down, sideways), everything (valves, etc) is in front of you unlike twinsets, you can get through small gaps, you've complete redundancy. It is exceedingly comfortable in the water.

In short it’ll be a great move.

I love sidemount with my LP50s.

For doubles, one option is tiny doubles, 40s or 50s. They are roughly the same weight as a single and can be run manifold open or closed. But you can't pass them up nor haul them up as easily as a single tank from sidemount. And the boat storage needs are a little different.

With sidemount, you could dive a full size tank on the right and pony size on the left, with the pony only used in an emergency. Then pass up or clip off the big tank and climb up with just the harness, wing, weights and pony.

I dive side mount with LP50s for solo diving. I like the trim, easy access to my valves and redundancy it gives. I haven't dove this set up from a boat yet but I could likely climb a ladder with my tanks on as I have on some docks. If I was going back mount then I would sling a pony and likely a 19cf minimum.

As a quick update, I did end up purchasing side-mount harness hardware, a side-mount wing, a 19cu pony, and the sidemounting.com online-course.

The main reason I got a 19cu, was because I found a great deal on a new one. I may eventually also get 2x 40cus, but this is fine for now.

In terms of learning side-mounting, I'll probably stick to 2x 80 cu tanks to reduce any potential learning complications. The 19cu will be used when running an 80cu BM with my backplate rig, and mounted "side-mount" style for streamlining purposes. Once I'm feeling good with balanced-SM, I might try running 80cu on one side, and 19cu as purely redundant on the other.

Solo diving in sidemount

WHAT A CLUSTER

I know, side mount is the new bp/w, answer to everything

don't forget to do fundies, the other answer to everything

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom