Recommendation for a focusing light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for recommendation for a focusing/spotter light to attach to my Flex Arm Ikelike AF35 strobe.

I looked at the Fantasea Nano light with the 2 AAA batteries but consider it too small. Looking for something with more energy and a wide beam and that will attach to the FlexArm.

Adam

I wouldn't spend too much. I see focus lights for several hundred dollars when a standard LED dive light with a diffuser and mount attached would work just as well.

I wouldn't spend too much. I see focus lights for several hundred dollars when a standard LED dive light with a diffuser and mount attached would work just as well.

I'm too cheap to spend hundreds on a light.

I got a recommendation from the Lights forum for the Fantasea 360 LED, which is a wide beam 4 AA light and costs around $50 and that's what I ordred.

Adam

I had one of the Fantasea 44 LED light, pretty much worthless. Their lights are simply not bright enough to be used as a focus light effectively.

I would have recommended (2) UK mini Q40 LED's (the old style would work) and ULCS double mounting bracket. The best part is you could use the Q40's as back-up lights when you are not using them with the camera.

I'm too cheap to spend hundreds on a light.

I got a recommendation from the Lights forum for the Fantasea 360 LED, which is a wide beam 4 AA light and costs around $50 and that's what I ordred.

Adam

I had one of the Fantasea 44 LED light, pretty much worthless. Their lights are simply not bright enough to be used as a focus light effectively.

I would have recommended (2) UK mini Q40 LED's (the old style would work) and ULCS double mounting bracket. The best part is you could use the Q40's as back-up lights when you are not using them with the camera.

Interestingly a UK mini Q40 halogen is what I currently attached to the FlexArm of the AF35 flash, though I've not used it underwater yet. The nice thing about this light is that it comes with a mask strap that can be used to attach to the arm. And I was thinking of getting one as a backup light.

Are you proposing the Plus or the regular version the Q40 LED light?

I ordered the Fantasea 360 which is new and will try that. I can always use it for something else if it does not work as a focus light.

I don't think the ULCS brackets will work with my Canon housing (SD camera) and the AF35 flash.

Adam

Ditto Jeff on the Fantasea - simply not enough light. Interested to hear some feedback about the Fantasea 360.

The you can either use the LED version (batteries last for at least 5 dives) or the standard halogen version. When using the std version, take the bulb reflector out and wrap it in slightly wrinkled ALU foil. The widens and softens the beam, which is what you want for a focusing light (and to make sure you do not see the spot in your images.

Interestingly a UK mini Q40 halogen is what I currently attached to the FlexArm of the AF35 flash, though I've not used it underwater yet. The nice thing about this light is that it comes with a mask strap that can be used to attach to the arm. And I was thinking of getting one as a backup light.

Are you proposing the Plus or the regular version the Q40 LED light?

I ordered the Fantasea 360 which is new and will try that. I can always use it for something else if it does not work as a focus light.

I don't think the ULCS brackets will work with my Canon housing (SD camera) and the AF35 flash.

Adam

hmmm I used the Fantasea Nano Focus light

Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- Nano Focus Light

I think this one gives enough light, hell in the Bahamas I used it as my primary night diving light with the focus lights from my Z240's as backup... And before anyone asks your strobes are not always pointed at the subject so their focus lights don't always do it.. :)

Oh and I guess I should mention that I don't see the use in carrying a light big enough to turn night into day :) I also use a SL4 as a primary night diving light and if I don't have a camera as big as I have gone is a UK C8 which is tones of light :) so maybe i'm the wrong one to answer this post :)

I have used quite a few different focus lights (started out with the dual Q40's) and nothing touches my Fisheye FIX HG20DX. Expensive...yes...but worth it IMHO. I have 2, and have lent my spare to many people. I have yet to hear anyone say that they aren't worth the $$$ (and quite a few said that they weren't worth it BEFORE trying mine). I use this filter: Fisheye Red Filter for Fix Light HG20DX [fix.hg20dx.filter.red] - $48.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros and it really helps from scaring the skittish night creatures.

Here is a link worth checking out:
Reef Photo & Video Support Center - KnowledgeBase - Focus Lights - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom