Recommendation for Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello there! Can anyone recommend any great dive shops for Belize diving? My cruise ship isn't offering any scuba excursions. =(

Is Belize drift diving?

In your opinion, would you choose to dive Belize, Roatan or Cozumel? Based on visibility and marine life.

There was one company that serviced the cruise ships for many years, but they have stopped doing that. One of the big reasons is distance... the cruise ships anchor near Belize City, all the reefs for diving are over an hour away. So every excursion meant a long boat ride to their shop to fit everyone and get gear, then another long boat ride to the reefs to dive. Then after 2 dives and a surface interval between, it was a long boat ride to dive shop to drop off gear, the a long boat ride back to ships... it was expensive due to fuel costs and a 7-8 hour excursion! Just for 2 dives.

In my opinion.... Roatan and Cozumel will give you better dives, more fishlife, and shorter excursions. Roatan reefs are right up at the island, so literally a 5-10 minute boat ride. Cozumel they are farther down to the south of island from where the cruise ships port, but fabulous reefs and fishlife. Both Roatan and Cozumel are worth doing. Cozumel is drift diving, Roatan is not as there is very little current.

Thank you for your reply robin! I've booked dives at both places. And a Turtle Cove snorkel in Belize, not much else to do. Not really into visiting the ruins.

Thank you for your reply robin! I've booked dives at both places. And a Turtle Cove snorkel in Belize, not much else to do. Not really into visiting the ruins.

Was the ship not also offering any caving adventures? (Including but not limited to tubing)

I would still suggest a Mayan Ruins tour. Especially if you have not done one before.

just got back from a princess cruise that took me diving in Turks,grand caymen and Cozumel ,fairly new diver other than my 4 open water dives for certification this was my first salt water dive experience and did 2 dives Turks and 2 caymen so by the time I hit Cozumel for drift diving I felt comfortable and the drift dives were a hoot ,I talked to a lady that I dove with in caymen and she opinion was the diving was better in Cozumel then Belize .I still would like to try Belize one day

You could go to their little zoo. It's kind of fun.

Belize excursion......Xunantunich ruins

2015Xunantunich20.JPG

view from top of the largest pyramid

2015Xunantunich4.JPG

tallest pyramid, yes you climb to the top

2015Xunantunich26.JPG

lunch afterwards
2015Belize714.JPG

GREAT time, love the Mayan culture and the Belizean people

^^^Just reminding other posters in this thread that OP already told us, they're not into ruins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom