Recommendation on a BC for the wife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hlsooner:
My wive loves her Zeagle Zena. Back inflate, with all the other Zeagle benefits like ripcord weight releases.
Ditto here....it packs like a dream, is clean and streamlined, fits perfect, is sooo flattering, and has super performance. Got over 100 ocean dives in varying conditions on mine since my OW and wouldn't trade it for anything. (Also, great support from the Zeagle folks.)

My wife is just about to get her OW cert also, so I've been looking into gear for her. She's a little gear-phobic so when I was looking in to BCD's I put a picture of a regular bcd next to a picture of Tobins single tank rig and asked her what she thought. She immediately appreciated the clean design of the DSS rig and thought that she would have a much easier time using the bp/w. Next step is to get her into a pool with a few to see what she likes. I wouldn't discount bp/w's for new divers. They may traditionally be the domain of tech divers, but they have real advantages for everyone.

LG Diver:
My wife is just about to get her OW cert also, so I've been looking into gear for her. She's a little gear-phobic so when I was looking in to BCD's I put a picture of a regular bcd next to a picture of Tobins single tank rig and asked her what she thought. She immediately appreciated the clean design of the DSS rig and thought that she would have a much easier time using the bp/w. Next step is to get her into a pool with a few to see what she likes. I wouldn't discount bp/w's for new divers. They may traditionally be the domain of tech divers, but they have real advantages for everyone.

I love my DSS rig... much less weight on the belt is a sweet thing! I would not dream of trading it for any other BC or BP/W on the market! Also makes it easier to stay trim and maintain bouyancy... IMHO...

laurelgsc:
I have a Seaquest Libra. Here is what I like about it.
1. No stupid velcro cumberbund (sp) to get stuck behind your back while you are gearing up, it has a simple snap closure at the waist (big selling point for me).
2. Back inflate (did not like the jacket style)
3. Weight integrated (did not like using a weight belt and did not like the rip cord style on the Zeagle) The Libra weight integration pockets snap in and out very easy to release to hand up to a tender if you have too, very easy to ditch.
4. Cut to fit a woman yeah!

I have done over 50 dives in mine and it still looks like new. Highly recomend this BCD!
Everything she said. My husband and friend tried to convince me to get a bp/w. It just didn't do it for me. I also didn't like all the other stupid crap on the diva (the sports-bra thing) - too much extraneous stuff. I really liked the simplicity of the Libra and it's amazingly comfortable and streamlined. It's fantastic.

dschulte:
I personally went through three different ones in less than a year before I found what I was happy with.
:monkeydan

You know my stance on this - BP and wing. There seems to be this natural evolution of folks who dive long enough/frequently enough (sound familiar :wink: ). You begin with a jacket BC, upgrade to a back inflation BC, then make the jump to a BP/W. Some do not "progress" all the way to BP/W, but those who do rarely go back. There seems to be this mistaken belief that BP/Ws "are only for tech divers" and "are not as comfortable other BCs." Those who dive them know better. I find that the BP/W is more comfortable and is really easier on my back. One thing to be carefull about with the BP/W though if you really want to appreciate it fully is to have the correct wing for the type of diving you plan to do. I do not believe that there is "one wing size fits all types of diving." Some folks try to tell you that certain 60# wings are great for diving both singles or doubles. Can it be used for both? Yes, but there are compromises. If you are diving singles, go with the lower volume wings designed for single tanks if you really want to appreciate the BP/W.
Regarding the other BCs,you can put a large set of DR pockets (32#) and still have a lower profile than the Seaquest. The Scuba Pro Ladyhawk is also a low profile option, but w/o useful pockets (if this is important). The Seaquest is OK too, but maybe not quite as low profile as the Ladyhawk. It is hard to beat the low profile, custom fit and comfort of the BP/W. Allowing her to test dive all options is still the best plan if possible - otherwise she could go through three this year too! This may have a negative effect on your dive budget :D.

BTW: If the vis holds, we may hit the 100' wall Saurday. See you then....

I'll be there at 10:30, like last Saturday!

I will pass your words of wisdom onto the wife, except that 3 BC's this year part. After loosing some weight (well off of the important areas) and having to get a smaller IQ Pack, I actually went through 4 in the last 12 months. But you are right about the BP/W, will never go back, except for during my DM program when I have to dive the Balance I still own.
:monkeydan

I am a Instructor, a woman, and I love my Zeagle Ranger, However depending on your wife a Ranger may be too much for what she wants to do. Have you looked at the new Zeagle LaZer? it is more robust than the Zena and has a great fit to it. Like everyone else had mentioned. Have her try on a bunch so she can determine what feel good to her.

I personally love my Sherwood Luna, very comfortable and I love the weight-integrated pockets. Although I only dive wet - haven't used it with a drysuit.
Katy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom