Recommendation please to JR. OW dive training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasaif

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

My daughter is turning 10 in December and I had agreed to let her take the Jr. Open Water certification. I was hoping to get some recommendation on where I can take her for the certification.

Here are our boundaries.

Date : March 19th to April 3rd
Area : Anywhere in South East Asia, Far East, australia or the Indian Ocean. I might also consider Europe, but perhaps the warmer areas during the period.

Hope to go where the dive is considered more on the easy and safer side.

Thanks a lot.

saif

It seems you are looking for a resort type destination during this period so Thailand, Philippines, Maldives, Bali, Malaysia are all nice places to visit during this period weather wise and diving conditions are favorable. It's really up to where you feel like vacationing as I'm sure you'll find very good centers wherever you choose to go.

You might also consider the Red Sea... in my opinion some of the best diving in the world and also much closer for you. Either for your daughters OW or continuing dive education. There are excellent centers here in Aqaba, Jordan as well as Egypt.... and I'm sure you have some good places in Saudi Arabia as well.

One comment though, in IMHO I feel that 10 years old is a little too young and I would recommend she try the Bubble Maker or SEAL team programs that PADI offer to get a feel for it, perhaps maybe even a Discover Scuba dive. Then when she turns 12 years she might go for the Junior cert. However, this is just my opinion and several folks here have taken their children for Junior OW at 10 yrs of age and are doing just fine.

Have fun

How about something closer like Jeddah?

You have some of the best Red Sea diving on your doorstep, but it has been 18 years since I lived there and don't know any instructors now, so nothing I can recommend.

In UAE I would recommend both Divers Down and The Dive Centre who both teach young children.

UAE visibility though is not that great.

Malaysia has some good places to learn, such as Redang.

Hi Nasser,

You are right that we are looking for a resort type place to go while on vacation. I am hoping to find out the places that are known to have junior program. Been visiting lots of websites and experiencing a bit of information overload.

I might do do a bit of research on Aqaba, Jordan. Any known to have good JR program?

My daughter has already done the bubble makers etc.. Last year she actually has the scubawalker experience, which strengthen her resolve to want to dive. It's something she is determined to do. Daddy just have to open his wallet.

Saif

---------- Post added September 4th, 2015 at 07:41 PM ----------

Hi Searcaigh,

Thanks for the suggestions. We are planning to do it while on vacation, so Jeddah is out, and likely so is all of GCC.

Want to make the training at a place where the wife can enjoy herself without getting wet.

saif

Hi Nasser,

You are right that we are looking for a resort type place to go while on vacation. I am hoping to find out the places that are known to have junior program. Been visiting lots of websites and experiencing a bit of information overload.

I might do do a bit of research on Aqaba, Jordan. Any known to have good JR program?

My daughter has already done the bubble makers etc.. Last year she actually has the scubawalker experience, which strengthen her resolve to want to dive. It's something she is determined to do. Daddy just have to open his wallet.

Saif

Hello Saif,

There are a few good dive centers in Aqaba, however, I would recommend Sinai Divers - Aqaba. They are located inside the Movenpick Resort in Tala Bay. My niece received her Junior OW with them and they have an excellent safety record, efficient and friendly staff, and are very well situated. The house reef is one of the nicest reefs in Aqaba with plenty of marine life and is a very relaxed and easy dive.

I would recommend though that if you do consider Aqaba, that you consider going in the Summer from May onwards. In March the water is much cooler and the visibility and diving conditions are not as good. So perhaps if you go to South East Asia or the Indian Ocean in March then you will make a trip to Aqaba or the other areas of th Red Sea in the Summer months.

Good luck.

Just to add to Nasser's post the water is also very cold outside of summer months, relatively speaking of course compared to the temperatures off Jeddah at the same time of year.

Hi Nasser & Searcaigh,

thanks for the note, specially about the water temp. I think we are heading either to Redang, Malaysia or Boracay, Phillipines in March. we may head to Aqaba next summer, if time & budget permits.
saif

Hi Nasser & Searcaigh,

thanks for the note, specially about the water temp. I think we are heading either to Redang, Malaysia or Boracay, Phillipines in March.
saif

Of the two I would choose the Philippines by a long shot. They have some of the highest biodiversity on the plantet and exceptional diving.

Can't disagree with what Nasser mentions above, however at Redang you can shore dive and when I was last there (6 yrs ago) there is an area cordoned off for snorkelling and suitable for teaching very close to Redang Bay Resort.

Some old stuff I wrote about the area can be found here

Logistically it can be a PITA to get to as you need to fly to Kuala Terengganu from KL and probably stay overnight before taking a boat over to Redang, although I have driven over from Penang a couple of times.

Wherever you choose I hope your daughter has a great experience.

Back
Top Bottom