Recommendations for a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may be TMI, but I suggest going for a dry suit (sounds like you don't need dry gloves, I'd highly recommend semi-dry ones) for the sake of a P-valve.

that's why both my wetsuit and my drysuit have p-valves in them. It is certainly a highly recommended addition to semi-dry wetsuits.

why are you suggesting gloves for caribbean water?

I think the recommendation for gloves is based on the Galapagos trip he's buying the drysuit for, which is known to get to 55F and below.

OP: I certainly recommend a drysuit over a thick semidry. Semidry suits are just better-sealed wetsuits and aren't worth it, imho. My wife just got an OThree Ri2-100, custom cut, for like $1500. A buddy just bought his wife a Seaskin Nova for like $1k. Both seem like great suits with great companies and lots of good reviews behind them.

My bad experience with drysuits is limited to Hollis suits (zipper blew out after like 40 dives which was enough damage to scrap the suit) and a buddy's 4th Element Argonaut. My Hollis was never dry, zipper tore, suit was pilling...overall awful suit. My buddy's 4E has been a struggle for a couple of years to get a dry suit. His first suit had seam issues that were repaired and came back. They replaced his suit that failed again. After a few cycles of repairs and failures, he's recently gotten a third suit. His two loaner suits weren't great, either....so he's had 5 in the past 3 years and this newest one has like 15 dry dives on it.

I got my E.motion+ from Santi a few weeks ago, and since this is my first drysuit I cant really compare with others, but I think its pretty awesome. The fit is amazing, the detail and construction is top-notch, and everything from huge pockets, p-valve, and the santi smart seals are included in the price. Only bad thing is that i waited 8 excruciating weeks to get it. Bob Sherwood from GUE told me he got 4 DUI suits ordered and delivered before Santi even sent it out from their factory in Poland. With your budget I think either Santi or DUI would be well worth it.

Also worth noting is that Santi allows up to 4 alterations for free on one of their 16 stock sizes, so you get a really nice fit without having to go full Made to Measure (adding the 5th alteration pushes you into full MTM which costs a few hundred). I only had 3 alterations on a stock size, and im sure you'll have no problem doing something similar.

that's why both my wetsuit and my drysuit have p-valves in them. It is certainly a highly recommended addition to semi-dry wetsuits.

why are you suggesting gloves for caribbean water?

Never heard of P-valves in a wetsuit to be honest.

I was suggesting semi-dry gloves for when he dives in colder water, like the Galapagos.

Never heard of P-valves in a wetsuit to be honest.

I was suggesting semi-dry gloves for when he dives in colder water, like the Galapagos.

just poke a hole for a standard unbalanced bolt style p-valve, remove the bolt if you want to, and hook up per normal. alternatively, put the condom on, and then snake a hose down the leg of the wetsuit, though that requires a bit more coordination

Last time I was at extreme exposure their objective was to have all the regular stock sizes for santi on hand. Along with the mid-layers. A very high percentage of people will do fine with the stock sizes and you will be able to clearly see whether you need a custom suit when wearing the thermal protection you expect to need.

just poke a hole for a standard unbalanced bolt style p-valve, remove the bolt if you want to, and hook up per normal. alternatively, put the condom on, and then snake a hose down the leg of the wetsuit, though that requires a bit more coordination

Just had a reputable 'Local" show me a great low cost alternative for wet or semi-wet suits... Instead of a costly P-valve, use a nylon 90 degree barb fitting with the threaded side filed down. I made a 2" round reinforcement patch then made the hole using a hot nail. Norpreene tubing might be a bit overkill, but has worked well for me so far.

Some might say this is overkill for a wetsuit, but I just hate having a smelly wetsuit and found I was under-hydrating just to avoid it. (not good). Plus, I want to sort out all the "plumbing" best practices before I start diving dry in a few months..

90d%20barb_zps3tkvsqo9.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom