Recommendations for a GoPro Pole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
looking for a GoPro Pole !

Salt water resistant of course......Anyone got any good reviews to share?

im currently looking at the GoPro Reach pole and the Sandmarc pole ....

Looking for some buying guide advice from the diving community....

NR77

Why not just build one?

I have the same question. Some options are GoPole, Aqua Pole by Sealife, QuikPole by Digipower. Sealife should be saltwater proof but pricey. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have been using a standard colapsable mono pole and rinse it and lub it after each use. The model I use is an X-Shot and it is much more compact to stow than a go-pole.

I'm a rookie to diving and gopro, so I'm not sure what the advantages of a legit pole are. But I made a pole for $3. A windshield washer/squeegee telescopic pole for 2.95 at walmart plus a 1/4 in. screw I already had. Screwed it down into the hard plastic end after drilling a pilot hole, hack-sawed the end off. Works pretty good the couple times I've used it. Don't know how durable it will be since it's pretty new, but for $3 I was happy.

So I responded to a similar thread recently. and I have used what was called an iPole, which I can't find anymore but is absolutely identical to the X-shot 2. I am guessing it was rebranded or bought out, either way, a couple of thoughts from when I pulled it out of the dive bag after sitting for almost a year.

The pole was rusty in the contact areas where the pole collapses and also on the head / swivel/ tightening screw. I cleaned it all off just like I would a dive knife with a little rust. Sprayed it with some water, opened and collapsed it a number of times, sprayed a little WD-40, took a green scrubby pad to the rust, opened and collapsed a bunch more times (Huge difference), put a tiny bit of marine grease where the rust was, cycled it again and then wiped everything off. The head was a little more work. But same process after disassembling it as far as possible. A wire brush helped on the threaded parts. I then put it back together with a healthy supply of marine grease on the threads to try and protect it in the future.

So now that I have explained what I did, here is what I would do differently. No Marine grease on the telescoping pole, it took away too much of the friction that keeps the pole from rotating when used. Other than that, I think it worked great. I might have a little too much grease in the swivel head but overall, not a bad clean up.

So I posted this because I also looked at some of the plastic poles that you can get that telescope and lock into place and they seem nice and user friendly. While I haven't played with one, I would assume that the plastic requires less maintenance than the X-shot. Plus side for the metal X-shot is that it compacts to a much smaller size, but because the sections do not lock it tends to rotate around above water and sometimes below water (although I never had much of an issue with that when using it and really liked how easy it was to switch from forward looking to rear looking to get me in the picture).

If saving the space on packing isn't an issue then the plastic poles might be the way to go. I really like the compactness of the metal pole and as long as the swivel head functions properly it is really easy to adjust and I have gotten good video with it.

Maui Ocean Center - Shark Dive - YouTube

Hopefully that helps your decision.

Happy Diving

I have the same question. Some options are GoPole, Aqua Pole by Sealife, QuikPole by Digipower. Sealife should be saltwater proof but pricey. Any other suggestions?

I use GoPole. Why? Because of the grip. That is what makes it stand out from other models. Easy to hold and stable in the hand. I have many others including the Sealife.

if above is not working click this link on tutorial for GoPole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZbARq-JAUU

I have the UK Pro Pole 22 and have used it both for diving and snorkeling in Hawaii with my GoPro 3+ Silver. I LOVE IT! The length is great for getting close shots and not too long to pull into my body for some up-close shots with Mantas on a night snorkel. The handle and wrist lanyard are well designed as well. So far it has held up well and seems to be of very high quality.

+1 on GoPole. Not the cheapest version around but super easy to use and very solid construction. No worries about it rusting either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom