Recommendations for a "less expensive" strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
kapula:
Hey Kim!
You can allways get one of those plastic bag thingies for your dslr. It's only around 250$ :) Forgot the manufacturer but you'll sure find it with a bit of googling :D

Seriously: u/w photography is such a marginal market that marginals are HUGE! There's not enough competition to cut down prices and as market is so small marginals need to be high so that manufacturers can bring some bread to their table. It's just plain and simple law of economics.Sure I'd like to get all those strobes and housings for half the price but then again why should manufacturers do them if it wasn't a business? If I was to make a product and I could sell it for 2 or 1 buck I don't think there'd be too many question which I'd choose.

This conversation has turned pretty ugly btw. Maybe we should get some virtual boxing gloves here :)

Actually when it was just Ikelite and Oceanic selling strobes the prices were not too bad. Then the competition showed up and started jacking up the prices for, in my opinion, is just snake oil features.

_Bella_:
F3: what camera and strobe setup are you using uw now?
might be this... it's got TTL

B0002HOFBG.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jag

Well lets see here the "A" team was not too successful in defending the prices of what I claim to be overpriced strobes so I guess its time for team “B”…the comedy relief…"Dolphy and Panchito" team! :rofl3:

f3nikon:
Or the Nikon SB-800 strobe...will fire a preflash and control the flash output very well, it retails for $250 with a much more complex electronics than any $500 to $700 U/W on the market. You mean to tell me that the plastic U/W case will cost 250 to 450 dollars???

Sarcasm cannot silence the facts..
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=412195

to your last question... yes... but feel free to stop by your local Lowes/ Home Depot to make your $25 housing for the SB-800... heck while you're at it, why even buy the SB-800? The iTTL function would be a total waste, no? You could probably whip up a uber strobe at radio shack with your knowledge...:eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom