Recommendations for Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Steve525

Registered
Reaction score
We are leaving for Aruba Saturday Nov 19th for a week. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good dive center to use there?

Thanks

Scuba-Steve525:
We are leaving for Aruba Saturday Nov 19th for a week. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good dive center to use there?

Thanks

You might want to think about visiting a different island for diving.

Scuba-Steve525:

Thanks

I agree with Pilot Fish and would consider going elsewhere.

To its credit, Aruba does have some world class wreck diving. If it is reefs you want, I would recommend Curacao or Bonaire. I have not been to Bonaire, but its reputation speaks for itself. Curacao, I would recommend Easy Divers out of Captain Don's Habitat resort. Harry and Anne Marie are top notch!

As for Aruba, the only dive we did when we were there was with an independant guide we hired. He ran his operation out of his house, and the dive itself was a shore dive. I have heard a lot of good things about Red Sail, and we did go snorkling with them, but as we didn't dive with them, I can't speak for them personally.

Good luck, and have fun! Aruba is a great little island, even if not for diving.

If Steve is leaving on Nov 19, it is probably a little late for him to change his travel plans, so.....

www.divearuba.com is fine for the small boat experience. Pelican adventures would be OK for the novice diver or someone wanting to dive from a larger boat.

These people are out of there minds...Aruba has some incredible diving, incredible nightlife and you will have a GREAT time!!! I used a couple dive shops the last time I was there, I had a great time with Aruba Fly n' Dive as well as the dive shop that is right on the pier on Palm Beach...I forget the name, but there is a pier with a Dunkin Donuts on it, and the boat leaves from there...they're not as good as Fly n. Dive, but they are decent. Fly N' Dive will pick you right up at your hotel and take you right to the boat, they set your gear up, etc....a real quality outfit.

I don't know where these people are coming from saying to go somewhere else...Aruba has some great diving. You definitely want to check out the Antilla, it's a cool wreck. Nothing left to grab, but just awesome to see a huge freighter underwater. The Jane Sea is also very nice if you can get to it.

I expect a full report when you get back! And please, post it to this thread so you can thumb your nose at these guys.

Well I just returned from Aruba about two weeks ago. We had no choice but to go there as are plans for Can & Coz were washed away with Wilma - just for the time being - please evryone no attacks for not going as it was to soon after the tradgedy.

Anway, I too would suggest trying to go somewhere else if you can. Once you are finished diving in the morning there is little or nothing else to do. The place IMHO is way too Westernized. I felt as though i was in Ft. Lauderdale. No need to exchange money and don't worry about even learning hello in their language - everyone speaks American. Native Divers is a great operation if you go. Romeo and Vanessa have a great boat and they offer great service. Both Romeo and Vaness were born and raised in Aruba; hence, the name "Native Divers". I have not one derrogatory thing to say about them only good stuff.

I searched SB's forums before going to Aruba and did NOT see good things about Red Sail. I AM VERY HAPPY I LISTENED. While there, we met two great guys who had a free dive with Red Sail. The reason for the free dive was because Red Sails made a mess of the guy's trip last year. RS is also known for cattle boats. They work with the cruiseliners; hence, if you are diving on a day the ship is in forget seeing anything with them. Anway, these two guys booked again, and yet again Red Sail forgot to pick them up. When the guy's called RS said they were on their way to get them and never showed. When the guys called again RS informed them that they had supposedly cancelled the trip. In the end the guy's ended up diving with us. That was ok, met a couple new friends. Well that is all I have to say. I hope that helps. If you are interested in some good restaurants in Aruba let me know/

Missdirected:
Well I just returned from Aruba about two weeks ago. We had no choice but to go there as are plans for Can & Coz were washed away with Wilma - just for the time being - please evryone no attacks for not going as it was to soon after the tradgedy.

Anway, I too would suggest trying to go somewhere else if you can. Once you are finished diving in the morning there is little or nothing else to do....

I AM TOTALLY SHOCKED BY EVERYONE'S COMMENTS...

The best thing we did in Aruba was rent a jeep. Granted, they make no qualms about advertising that you are in a rented vehicle, but we took that Jeep all over the island and we had a BLAST everywhere we went! I can't believe you are saying that there is nothing to do after the dive! We had trouble finding time to just sit and relax by the pool! We would throw our snorkelling gear in the back of the jeep and drive around until we found a good snorkeling spot and just pull off the side of the road and hop in. Likewise, we never were at any loss for a GREAT place to eat or shop, or go horseback riding or ANYTHING we wanted to. We went to the world famous Charlie's Bar in San Nicolas...which I would highly recommend.

I'm sorry to say this, but if you don't "have anything to do after a dive" it's because you're not looking for anything to do...which is perfectly fine too, just don't make a claim that there ISN'T anything to do....

Steve, you will have a great time!!! Don't get caught up with the media hype just because 1 american is missing and probably dead. It is a totally isolated incident. My wife and I drove around the island at all hours of the day and night, and NEVER ONCE did we feel in any kind of danger...It is unfortunate that this whole thing has happened, because of ALL the caribbean island, I would say Aruba has to be the best balance of safety, good diving and plenty of topside activity. Don't let a few nay-sayers discourage you...like with anything, you can choose to have a great time or not; that is entirely you decision. If you are a person who likes to have a good time, then you will have a great time in Aruba.

AND LEARN HOW TO SAY "HELLO" IN THE NATIVE LANGUAGE WHEREVER YOU GO...if for no other reason than simple courtesy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom