Recommendations for dive operator on Guam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aum

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Find myself with some time on my hands in October and have a few questions about diving in Guam. I understand that some of these will be subjective to ppl's own experience but looking for some ideas and impressions anyway.

1. What is the weather usually like around middle to end of October in Guam?

2. Would I be right in assuming MDA (as mentioned from other posts) would be a good outfit to go through?

3. Can anyone recommend MDA as far as doing an Advanced Open Water course there?

Any other ideas, opinions are more than welcome. I'm sure I had more questions but if anyone has any extra info, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aum

Thanks Doc....appreciate the info.

Will pop off a message to her tomorrow.

Arch

I can recommend MDA highly. I did my AOW through them. The class was 11 years ago, but I continue to hear good things about them. There is also Guam Tropical Dive Station (or something like that). Dove with them a couple of years ago, and wouldn't do it again. I'd go back to MDA. Oh, whereever you go, rent a car, and go to the shop yourself. I think you may find the rates much cheaper than if you book through a hotel. There are also some great shore dives on Guam if you can hook up with some local divers.

The weather in Guam is the same year 'round. Hot and humid, but with some decent trades. However, be warned, you are going in peak typhoon season, and they do get some good ones!

MDA and GTDS(guam tropical dive station) are the top two operations there... both are comparable, I prefer GTDS though... they both have AOW for about the same price.

Aum, i am also heading out to Guam this year. I am going at the end of November and will do a 4 day Open Water course.

Someone mentioned something about renting a car, is that really necessary. Since i am only going to be on the island for only 4 days and will head out to Palau for a diving tour after the Guam class, couldn't i bypass the whole car thing. (Haven't driven for the last 4 years...i only got my license 4 years ago:boom: )

was also in japan at the time. I did my rescue through GTDS, they fixed me up some cheap motle close by, picked mue up in the morning and took me to their shop and same at night.

if you are going to be just diving then its ok, but if you want to chill a bit then maybe stay down town

I personally like GTDS better than MDS. Whatever you do I don't recommend contacting MDS through e-mail. It took me over 6 weeks and over 3 e-mails before I got answers concerning prices. They replied to my e-mails saying that they would get back to me as soon as they find out the total.

I have nothing except good things to say about MDA. I booked a stay at Blue Lagoon in Truk to add to the back-end of a week on the Aggressor boat there. Cynthia promptly replied to every email I sent (and there were probably twenty plus emails). My stay in Truk went off w/o a hitch. I also booked a day of diving in Guam on their "small" boat so I could dive the Cormoran/Kitz/Tokai in the harbor. That was also without a hitch. The only thing I might add is to give yourself plenty of time to analyze your tanks if your diving nitrox. This did not cut into our dive time at all though.

As a side note, GTDS never replied to my first and second email queries....

Try and show up to the shop on your own so they will assume you are local or in the military and the dives will be ALOT cheaper, like $35 for a 2 tank boat dive at GTDS. If you arrange for them to pick you up at a hotel, I think may assume you're a tourist and charge you the tourist rate, same if you arrange it through a 3rd party booker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom