Recommendations for dive operator on Guam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Everyone,

My friend and I have decided that we'll do our Open Water course on Guam with MDA and then head out fo Palau for 3 full days of diving and kayaking :wink: . We don't care much about the night life, we'd much rather stay somewhere cheap around the MDA facilities. Can anyone recommend such a place? Or heck can we just camp out on the beach?

Also, the MDA folks told me that we need to read the books for the course before we get to Guam because we have exactly 3 days to do the course. Did anyone encounter this? Couldn't we cover the material during the 3 days that we are there?

Thanks for the all the info everyone=-)

MDA. There are some relatively cheap hotels....Hunter's Inn, ITC Hotel, Holiday Plaza come to mind. I think they're around $50 or so per night. I live in Guam, but I'm visiting family in Iowa until about the 30th...otherwise I could help out a bit more.

I think you asked about transportation earlier..it's really hard to get around without a car...VERY little in the way of reliable or timely public transportation (I lived 2 1/2 years in Japan; you get spoiled there in that regard.) There are a couple of places that rent cars quite cheaply...Cars Unlimited (REALLY cute girl behind the desk, ha ha) and Ionian Rent a Car, both for around $25/day (if you get the "clunkers."

As far as reading the OW manual....sure, it's not much fun, but I recommend that you do it anyhow...especially the parts of pressure/volume relationships & everything regarding dive tables...because if they have to teach you everything "fresh" it will take a lot longer...time which could be better spent in the water rather than in classrooms all the time. One thing I DO know about MDA is that they (last I heard) allow (provide) computers for their OW course...but you still need to learn the tables. A lot of the "physical" stuff it's just as easy being shown (like buoyancy control, finning technique, etc) but you'll save time, learn more & make your instructor happy if you have SOME grasp of the more esoteric stuff like dive tables.

You can send me an email at chrisgulick@hotmail.com if you have some more questions. Be sure to put "Guam" in the subject somewhere...because this is my "tons of SPAM" email address, & I don't want to publish my "usual" email address and have that one get spammed all the time as well. I have a currently empty house not far from MDA (6 minutes by bicycle...)--if you're in Guam after 10/30 or so, and don't look like Charles Manson we could talk about you two renting it pretty cheaply for a couple days.

Have fun in Guam & Palau (I'm at dive #4,499 at the moment....maybe you could give me a lift to Palau for #4,500?

:D

Three days is not enough time to become certified to dive even WITHOUT the book work. First of all, I would recommend you find a better, more involved course. But, it you are going to do the "3 day wonder", you MUST do all of the bookwork ahead of time. Read it all, and have all of your knowledge reviews completed before beginning your 3 days. If you come to something you don't understand, or feel you would like more info, write it down and be ready with your questions. Doesn't sound like the course is going to leave much, if any time, for academics.

Cantlogon, THANKS SO MUCH DUDE. My overzealous traveling partner (Jen) just emailed you by the way. Thans for the quick reply. Will take your advice and get the course materials sent over so we can study. By the way, what did you do in Japan 2 years ago. Jen and I live in the middle of the main island, a place call Ishikawa. We're both CIRs on the JET program (have you heard of it?).

Oh, is it me or is Guam really expensive. The prices seem to be be the same as Japan.

Alikat, thanks for your comments, but unfortunately i only have 3-4 days to do the course. But i will take your advice and study hard before the course. :doctor:

Micronesia HERE WE COME=-)

you were coming from Japan :(

I had a week with PDS in Guam and it was much cheaper than Japan - unfortunately they are no longer in business, damn those typhoons!

Kansai Airport...but it was ~12 years ago, before the airport existed...nuthin' but cabbage & onions as I tell my divers from Japan.) Anyhow, I taught English for a small school there.
Regarding prices, I haven't lived in Japan in a while, as I said....the "name" hotels tend to be pretty expensive. In Guam it definitely pays to be (as to "pass" as) a local. The Nikko Hotel, for example, has a really good lunch buffet...$9.90 for locals, and about $16 for tourists. Even cheaper (but not as good) are the food courts in the major shopping places (Micronesia Mall, Guam Premier Outlet) where you can usually get meals for around $5 or $6. Or buy ramen at the grocery store (Payless) for .25 a pack & boil some water!
I think you said you were taking OW from MDA? I don't know if they have a different "local" vs "tourist" price. Probably too late to do anything about it if you already signed up. I'm pretty sure I saw a "$99 OW course" sign out in front of their shop...not sure if gear rental, course materials, etc are covered in that price. I know the going rate for the tourist-oriented shops is somewhere around $350~400 for an OW course...and that probably doesn't include the books. Most places don't charge OW students for gear rental...(AOW have to pay)...BUT they may require you to have/purchase your own mask, fins, boots, snorkel for the class.
Some people mentioned that 3~4 days isn't enough time...well, it takes a long time to become a "good" diver...but you can learn enough in a few days so that you should be able to continue to practice & become reasonably competent on your own. There are actually shops which do a 2 day course....academics for about 1/2 the day, then hit the beach in the afternoon & the following day. I don't recommend them...especially when (as happens here) you get tourists showing up with NO prior preparation (such as having the book, etc.) I'm not sure where you two are from, but I think Americans, in general, after their OW course and a few "guided" dives expect to be able to dive without a guide under normal conditions....but many Japanese, regardless of experience, are accustomed to ALWAYS having a guide/DM along with them, which results in less than adequate skills in many cases. Fine with me, though...if they didn't want a guide, I wouldn't have many customers!
Sorry this is long...I have Jen's (or at least someone CLAIMING to be Jen, you never know these days!) email, so I'll just reply directly to any questions you might have. My partner is Japanese, so if you have any Japanese friends with questions, I can pass them along to her. (I speak Japanese, but don't read kanji much at all.)
See you later,
Chris

YAY!!! Finally I can post messages! Yes, I am indeed the jen you talk of... will be posting lots of quesitons here now. Cheers for all the info, I know exactly what you are talking about :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom