Recommendations for Diving Centers on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am leaving for Bonaire on Saturday night and will be renting a place on Bonaire so I already have accomodations.

I have stayed at the Divi and the Sand Dollar Hotels.

The Divi has the best all around dive operation I have seen to date and I know that they have repaired the damage caused by the storm last fall, but I think I am on a first name basis with every fish off their pier so I need a change. The Sand Dollar is pretty good but I don't particularly care for storing my expensive equipment on open drying pegs and would prefer a locker that I can lock.

The spot must also have:

Jump in off their pier diving
night diving on site
no hassle about solo diving
restaurant nearby
near Kralendijk (within a few miles)

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Sy

You don't say what part of the island the house you are renting is located. If it's South of the airport, I'd recommend Wannadive Windsock location. I just got back on Saturday (waaaaa) and used them as the condo I rented didn't have an onsite dive shop.

The location is great, they have the "hide a key" so you can dive off the location 24/7. They don't have a "pier" but a ladder to get in and out. No restaurant, but they do have a bar :)

It might be difficult to find a location anymore that has individual dive lockers like Belmar, and the one's at BDA. Most are the gear rooms with pegs. Here are some pics of the location.

Roomer's is a restaurant across from Belmar, so just a tad south of Windsock.

Attachments

• windsock.jpg
    windsock.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 27
  • windsock1.jpg
    windsock1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 26
  • windsock2.jpg
    windsock2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 29
  • windsock3.jpg
    windsock3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 25
You mentioned your hesitation at leaving expensive dive equipment on open hanging room at Sanddollar, I figure you are referring to BDA. You can get a lock and occupy one or more of the lockers available on their pier. We do that with tanks and our equipment when we are going on night dives after 9PM when their hanging room closes. Bottom line BDA is the cheapest place on the island for 32% nitrox and you can even bring your own locks if you do not trust theirs.

Question - what is the shore diving at the plaza like?
-M
It's the 18 Palms dive site. Not the best but certainly worth diving. I wouldn't dive it unless staying there though as there's so much better less than a mile south of there.

The downside is that it's at the north end of the resort and the Toucan diveshop, boats, tanks, lockers etc. are at the far south side on the lagoon. They do stage tanks at the site but you'd want to ask someone on staff to give you a ride (golfcart) from the diveshop with your gear/weights - it's a lonnnggg walk.

Another option is to temporarily park 50' from the tank fill/locker area, get your gear and then drive out of the resort and down the road to the north. Just before you pass the last of the Plaza property, there's a small field/parking lot with a blocked off road (chain) going into the Plaza complex. 18Palms is close by there.

Sy,

South to North in that area it runs:

Harbour Village
Eden Beach/Wannadive
Den Laman/BD&A
Sand Dollar/BD&A
Buddy Dive
Capt. Don's Habitat.

Except for Harbour Village (never been there) I think all of them meet your other requirements - not sure about lockers at Wannadive...
Most also closed up around 5PM except for leaving tanks out for guests so you may want to bring your own.

The house is located in the Saba Palm subdivision which is close (south?) to the Airport.

You don't say what part of the island the house you are renting is located. If it's South of the airport, I'd recommend Wannadive Windsock location. I just got back on Saturday (waaaaa) and used them as the condo I rented didn't have an onsite dive shop.

The location is great, they have the "hide a key" so you can dive off the location 24/7. They don't have a "pier" but a ladder to get in and out. No restaurant, but they do have a bar :)

It might be difficult to find a location anymore that has individual dive lockers like Belmar, and the one's at BDA. Most are the gear rooms with pegs. Here are some pics of the location.

The house is located in the Saba Palm subdivision which is (south?) of the Airport.

The house is located in the Saba Palm subdivision which is (south?) of the Airport.

So you are on the South end of the island. Choices heading South of the airport are:

1. Photo Tours (almost across from the airport - no dock, diving off this location is through the harbor)
2. Wannada Dive Windsock - Better diving off the dock
3. Belmar (hosted by Buddy Dive) - Not sure if you can get a locker et. al. if you are not staying on the property. High season the lockers are full.

I wouldn't suggest going North for air, it would be a hassle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom