Recommendations for diving with new Jr. OW diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take him for a pool dive so you can check out his buoyancy and he can practice his basic skills in a safe environment.

IMO I dont think that diving with him is going to be much different than diving with someone who is 30 with the same experience level. I started diving at age 12, 15 years and hundreds of dives later I see new divers having the same issues I did when I was a newbie

Carry a few extra pounds yourself, as the dive progresses if he becomes increasingly buoyant and needs the weight you're there, the DM's will insist that they do it, but chances are you will be closer.

And a shallow shore dive on day 1 might be a good idea if possible.

All good points. Thanks for the inputs. I wanted to do a pool session with just the two of us so I could check out his weight and buoyancy (different wetsuit, different BC, different regs, etc. than he trained with, but unfortunately the town he lives in (3+ hours away) will not allow divers to use their natatorium for scuba unless part of an "authorized scuba class". Supposedly some issue with insurance, risk, etc., and I did not have time to bring his to my city where I do have access to a great pool. So we will have to do the best weight checks possible on the first dive and adjust from there as the dives progress. I do plan to carry extra weight for him in case he needs it, as likely will the DM. My major beef with the scuba shop that certified him is that they really did not spend the appropriate amount of time doing accurate weight checks, and I think they probably had him over weighted, a common occurrence, so we will have to start with an estimate and work from there. For example, they had him (75#, wiry with no fat) at 6# with a 3mm suit in FW, 63cf AL tank. I could be wrong, but I think that was too much weight for him in FW. Thanks again for all the inputs.

Altamira -Im hearing your concern loud n clear. which is why I from the very bottom of my heart don't feel you should be kiddo's dive buddy to start with. To start with I'd have kiddo do a PPB specialty training dive. Ge the weighting correct and boyancy confirmed as sorted.
You go in as tail end charlie with him but let the instructor do their job. This will be a triple whammy. You can see how kiddo dives -from a distance.Kiddo gets a refresher and weight/boyancy tuned up.
Then you are relaxed around kiddo kiddo's had a skill boost and you can both relax into the diving.
Incidently I have 5 kids that dive 3 of em jow.
PS--i'm happy to carry your bags sir --and a spare tank (in the water of course)

All good points. Thanks for the inputs. I wanted to do a pool session with just the two of us so I could check out his weight and buoyancy (different wetsuit, different BC, different regs, etc. than he trained with, but unfortunately the town he lives in (3+ hours away) will not allow divers to use their natatorium for scuba unless part of an "authorized scuba class". Supposedly some issue with insurance, risk, etc., and I did not have time to bring his to my city where I do have access to a great pool. So we will have to do the best weight checks possible on the first dive and adjust from there as the dives progress. I do plan to carry extra weight for him in case he needs it, as likely will the DM. My major beef with the scuba shop that certified him is that they really did not spend the appropriate amount of time doing accurate weight checks, and I think they probably had him over weighted, a common occurrence, so we will have to start with an estimate and work from there. For example, they had him (75#, wiry with no fat) at 6# with a 3mm suit in FW, 63cf AL tank. I could be wrong, but I think that was too much weight for him in FW. Thanks again for all the inputs.

Couple of tips diving with kids. My daughter certified at 13. Our first dive post OW certification was with a DM. After that we had a few simple dives together. As with any newbie it took a few dives for her to get her weight and buoyancy dialed in. At 75 lbs. and 3 mm wetsuit 6 lbs. could be a little light. General rule thumb would be 6%-8% total body weight for 3 mm wetsuit, that would put the weight about right.

Even if the kid is an absolute natural with perfect buoyancy control never push a dive. Kids are kids. I paid for 3 tank dive boat with my daughter. She got cold first dive and then didn't want to dive for the other two, even with her new wetsuit and hood. We sat out for the next two dives, drank hot chocolate and just chatted.

Next time on a boat we both got little green around the gills in choppy seas. She did one dive then decided she didn't want to go on second dive as she was feeling queasy. Another time on a boat she didn't like the tightness of her wetsuit around her neck (she grew a little). Again, dove only one out of two possible dives.

Your normal response as an adult would to be a little perturbed. Spend all that money on a spot on the dive boat only to have the kid thumb the dives as often as actually went diving. But the afternoon we got back from the seasick dive we stopped at local restaurant to eat a little something to settle our stomachs. On the way home she said, "thanks Daddy for a fun day." Turns out the first dive was fun and the rest of the time she enjoyed just being together chatting. Sometimes it's not about the diving but spending the time together.

Oh, by the way, she's actually a very good diver now. She actually tells my wife on summer family vacations the destination now has to include scuba. By being patient and let her come to her own scuba diving comfort with me we now have a special bond and something special we share together.

If you don't think your grandson's skills are up to par then get him some extra instructions. I'm not a dive instructor so I signed my daughter up for extra training classes, and most recently she completed AOW training. If you have a personal DM for his dives then I don't really see the need to tether yourself to your grandson. Let the DM worry about doing a formal weight check and extra weights as well, after all, that's why he's there. If you have doubts about if the DM is up to the task then you may need to reconsider or interview the DM's ahead of time.

Anyways, good luck. I hope you and your grandson have a great time and safe diving.

This is not really an answer to the question per say, but I thought I'd chime in- I started diving at age 11, in Indonesia (1986) and I don't think I'll ever be able to equal the experience of my final dive on the certification trip. Crystal clear, warm waters over an incredible reef teeming with life, drifting over it at 40 foot depth with my dad as my dive buddy was an incredible experience. If a kid that age can go through the training and feel comfortable and competent, it can be a life-changing experience.

Back
Top Bottom