recommendations for first shore dive - Florida east coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK since I have already commented albeit short I'll add a bit more. If you can go, do it during the week as weekends can be a zoo between swimmers, snorkelers, OW training classes, etc. High tide isn't mandatory but visibility suffers - a lot. I'd hit the west side 1st - head straight out south and visit the snorkel trail then swing west. Look for the street lamp shade - there's a typically an octopus in there and a few more close by. Sand areas hold mantis shrimp on occasion and schools of various bait fish. Any sort of structure will have 'stuff' on and around it - if you look. Once you get back to the pilings slow way down and look. The bridge has some easily spotted species but it's main attraction is the macro stuff - it is a photographer's paradise for a reason. I've seen more things in 1 dive there then I have in a few years off-shore. Head between the Channel Bumpers and the last set of pilings and go to the area between the fishing pier and main road pilings and cover that piling to piling. The tide will probably have started to move again so see what you can and look closely. Getting 120 minutes isn't impossible an hour on either side of slack tide. Good luck - have fun - get there early. If you get decent vis it can be magical

---------- Post added December 4th, 2015 at 10:43 AM ----------

and and yes, Force E or Pur Vida are both local shops that can set you up with guides or night dives when they have them

Lauderdale by the Sea is great. Park at Hibiscus Rd. just south of the Commercial Blvd. pier. Blue Heron Bridge is a good dive if you don't mind diving with 100 of your closest friends. It tends to get very crowded there and I've been burned on it for that reason.

This diver speaks the truth.

LBTS is a great dive. As far as others posting that there isn't much to see....I would disagree.
Venture to the 2nd reef for more reef structure.
As far as critters other than tropicals, I have seen nurse sharks, turtles, caribbean reef squid and buzzed fairly regular by curious tarpon.

I would also recommend reading/posting the Florida HTF for more info. Also, as someone else mentioned, Gold Coast has regular meetups there.

Enjoy your stay.

Visual imagery added for clarification
lbts.jpg

Last edited:
One that hasn't been mentioned is the Wreck of the Lofthus. It's a "real" wreck- an iron-hulled sailing ship that went down close to Manalapan, FL in 1898.
The wreck is located approximately 3/4 of a mile north of Boynton Beach and 175 yards off-shore of Manalapan. It rests in 15-20 feet of water, with wreckage rising as much as six feet off the sea floor depending on sand movement. The shipwreck is located within a Florida Underwater Archaeological Preserve, and a laminated underwater guide is available from local dive shops. The preserve is open to the public year round, free of charge.

This is where you'll find it:

lofthus-1-e1449709697574.png

and zoomed in so you can see the highlighted wreck

lofthus-2-e1449709872675.png

You can get more information about it here: Lofthus (shipwreck)--Florida Shipwrecks: 300 Years of Maritime History: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

I have been meaning to snorkel the Loftus, but from my knowledge, there is no parking close by. You can park at the inlet, but that's quite a walk with SCUBA.

If you are doing BHB and hiring a guide, I had a not so great experience with E-Force. I had reserved a guide and the guide decided he didn't want to guide (he tried to talk us into a different day and I believe told an untruth). His girl friend wound up guiding us. I think it was her first experience diving and I think we missed out on a lot.

I do recommend BHB. It's an easy entry and exit and interesting things to see which can include rays.

Back
Top Bottom