Recommendations for goods hotel in Cancun or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm looking to take a small 5 or 6 day vacation in either Cozumel or Cancun. I need to finish up my PADI Open Water certification so I'll probably be doing 4 days of diving and maybe other events. I'd like to go to some clubs, shopping, and do other things, so i'm probably leaning more towards Cancun. However, I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations on hotels or can share some experiences? Something nice on the beach, close to everything. The last two times I went to Cancun I stayed at the Omni hotel and the Oasis. Big resorts that were pretty close to Aquaworld in Cancun. I'm a poor college student so price is always a concern :eek:)

Thanks in advance,
-macado
macado@Nonaferraris.com

Just got back from a week at Moon Palace. We really liked it. It's close to Cancun but not in the heart of it. I don't know if that fits your budget, but I recommend it. Remember the price is All-Inclusive.

Their on-site dive op. is Aquaworld. I didn't dive with them and wouldn't. We dove with Dive Puerto Morelos (www.divepuertomorelos.com) which is a little further south in Puerto Morelos. Catbrown is a scubaboard member and can give you info. if you're interested.

Scott Riemer:
Just got back from a week at Moon Palace. We really liked it. It's close to Cancun but not in the heart of it. I don't know if that fits your budget, but I recommend it. Remember the price is All-Inclusive.

Their on-site dive op. is Aquaworld. I didn't dive with them and wouldn't. We dove with Dive Puerto Morelos (www.divepuertomorelos.com) which is a little further south in Puerto Morelos. Catbrown is a scubaboard member and can give you info. if you're interested.

Hi Scott, I'm staying at the Moon Palace and thinking of doing some diving with Puerto Morelos, how was the transportation system in Mexico?, did you use buses or taxis?, how easy was it to get there, my last (only) Mexican diving experience was in PDC where the diveshop was on the hotel beach so I didnt even have to leave the hotel !

Thanks

aloodb:
Hi Scott, I'm staying at the Moon Palace and thinking of doing some diving with Puerto Morelos, how was the transportation system in Mexico?, did you use buses or taxis?, how easy was it to get there, my last (only) Mexican diving experience was in PDC where the diveshop was on the hotel beach so I didnt even have to leave the hotel !

Thanks

Catbrown could give you better information as far as buses. We took a taxi to Puerto Morelos. It cost 150 pesos one way. That's roughly $15, so $30 round trip divided by however many are traveling. My buddy paid the way there and I got us back.

Getting the taxi is easy at the hotel, you walk out front and tell the bell captain you want a taxi. He calls on the radio and the taxi's there in 30 seconds. The dive shop we used was Dive Puerto Morelos (www.divepuertomorelos.com) run by Catbrown. They are near the town square in Puerto Morelos which is where you get the taxi to go back.

Any other questions, just ask. We had a great time that's why I can't stop talking about it.

In Cancun a hotel not that well known but the only hotel we stay is Miramar Mission. Located about 2 blocks south of Plaza Forum it is in walking distance of a lot of the shopping so you save on cab or bus fare. They also have a really good brunch included and I am a big fan of their rooftop jacuzzi.

I wil stay in Miramar May 29-Jun 14.... I will post a report when I come back on this hotel. We bought a flight/hotel package in a Mexicali, Mexico travel agency for $20,048 pesos (approx $1750) for 15 nights 16 days. Airport shuttles included to and from airport. Breakfast buffet incl. I have read a lot of reviews for this hotel and all they have to say is negative stuff. I hope they are wrong. Well, don't worry, I'll keep the SB up on my review for this hotel and diving I do in the vicinty.
10 more days and counting....
A happy bombero from Arizona who can't wait....believe me, I am extremly tempted to call in sick for the rest of the week, can wait for Cancun!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom