Recommendations for manatee dives/snorkels in Crystal River area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rynomar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to be doing a trip to Florida in March and we were hoping to do a snorkel or dive in the Crystal River area. Do you guys have any recommendations on dive operators in the area? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Definitely use Birds Underwater, definitely avoid American Pro Dive...

I second what Johnny said - Bird's is hands down the best. We've been using him for our VA shop for 8 years (at least)

My husband and I go to Crystal River at least once a month in season and love to kayak rather than than take a charter. There are plenty of places you can rent kayaks (we like Aardvarks) for about the same price as a charter, and you can go at your own pace and spend as much time in the springs and with the manatees as you want. There are plenty of places that are easy to get in and out of the kayak in the three sisters. It's nothing for us to spend 3-4 hours in the Three Sisters area, with a charter you get about 45 minutes or so and there are 20-30 other people in ther water with you. Kayaking gives you that wonderful time between the charters to enjoy the manatees without the crowds. :D

My husband and I go to Crystal River at least once a month in season and love to kayak rather than than take a charter. There are plenty of places you can rent kayaks (we like Aardvarks) for about the same price as a charter, and you can go at your own pace and spend as much time in the springs and with the manatees as you want. There are plenty of places that are easy to get in and out of the kayak in the three sisters. It's nothing for us to spend 3-4 hours in the Three Sisters area, with a charter you get about 45 minutes or so and there are 20-30 other people in ther water with you. Kayaking gives you that wonderful time between the charters to enjoy the manatees without the crowds. :D

I like how you think!

Ryan,

If that picture in your profile is you, then you (toating that nice housed SLR) are easily more than qualified to do the kayak or john boat thing on your own. The experience is so much nicer if you can do it on your own and not with a whole boat load of other people. I think the animals are much more apt to hang around too if they aren't being mobbed. Enjoy.

Birds is definitely the place. You can rent a boat/kayak and do your own thing also!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Jaydee323,

Thank you for the kayak suggestion. That really sounds like a really nice way to do it. I am a big fan of going along at my own pace away from the crowds. How is the visibility?

BarracudaJamie,
The camera practically needs a boat of its own!

Thanks again,

Ryan

My wife and I went the first time in a Jon boat, middle of the week, and had the place to ourselves. We each had a pod (?) of 4-6 manatees molesting us (apparently they didn't see the video about harassing humans). Viz in three sisters is unlimited (but spending 3-4 hours there sounds BORING), and the rest of the river will be on the poor side...10-15 feet.

I've gone with both Birds and American and Birds is more convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom