recommendations for new gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaml

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
getting back into spearing after manyyears; looking to purchase a new gun: typical trips will usually be to oil rigs in gulf; fish probably in the 5 to 50 lb range; need recs as to : gun length, # of bands: thickness of bands; brand names; etc. looking to spend around $300 to $400; prefer good balance, accurate, quiet; get the same sstory from allgun websites ("we are the best"); need the iopinion of people who are actually getting wet. thanks

getting back into spearing after manyyears; looking to purchase a new gun: typical trips will usually be to oil rigs in gulf; fish probably in the 5 to 50 lb range; need recs as to : gun length, # of bands: thickness of bands; brand names; etc. looking to spend around $300 to $400; prefer good balance, accurate, quiet; get the same sstory from allgun websites ("we are the best"); need the iopinion of people who are actually getting wet. thanks

We are a relatively new company (in the last 3 years or so) and we have brought to market the best value in spearguns to the market. We sell direct to the consumer with no retail stores (or the associated mark-up) so our prices for very high quality products are surpisingly low.

When a customer orders a gun, we build the entire gun, custom to their specifications.

Our bands are constructed THAT day (at our facility in Virginia) , the customer specifies the type of barrel, the length of the barrel, the color of the barrel, the color and number and thickness of the bands, the type of muzzle (open or closed), the type of spear shaft and/or any spear tip they choose, how long the shooting line is, the color of it, the thickness of it and we can even custom make the gun with steel cable if that is what you want to use on the oil rigs.

Since we hand make each gun only when ordered, it costs no more to get a gun configured EXACTLY as you want.

The very broad array of options may seem overwhelming, but we are more than happy to talk on the phone and help you fine tune your selection based on your individual needs. We can build a little gun for hunting carp in a dirty pond in Arkansas or a Blue water gun to hunt large tuna in the deep blue.

For the conditions and price range you specify, I might recommend a 110 cm ETR (enclosed track railgun) with two bands and a standard flopper tip. The ETR gun is our top of the line model and there is no other railgun on the market that utilizes a HDPE, fully enclosed track along the entire barrel. This prevents any shaft whip and ensure that the shaft leaves the gun in a perfectly straight line. There is just nothing else like it on the market at any price.

MAKO Oceanic ETR (Enclosed Track Railgun)

We use only the best latex rubber (made in the USA) and we travel to South Africa to find the very best, strongest and hardest shafts on the market. The link below is obviously of a promotional nature, but it does provide a number of metrics which will allow you to compare our guns to others ones.

Why Choose a MAKO Speargun (Railgun)?

I am a big fan of Mako guns and they are an excellent value. They are far superior to a lot of metal guns that cost the same or more. You can spend a great deal more for teak guns, but the increased performance is highly debatable and more maintenance. You will never find superior customer service than at Mako.

Last edited:
I haven't shot a Mako gun but I have used other products from them and if their guns are as good as their other products and customer service, then they're definitely good.
There is a guy on Spearboard who shoots a lot of fish on the rigs off Louisiana and he swears by JBL. I believe they are in your price range.
There are benefits to paying more for some guns. Daryl Wong guns have a lifetime warranty, even if you're the second or third owner, along with excellent, very personable customer service.
I've shot a few other guns (I have 4 different guns) but my favorite is the Wong 55 GR hybrid. With two 9/16 bands, it shoots really smooth. No hard recoil and deadly. And it's knocked down 40 lb plus fish with fairly long shots. (see two examples in my avatar and profile pic. That's two different fish)

I stopped at MAKO last year on the way to Discovery in NC and myself along with 2 others purchased guns (and some other things). Dano was great and helped us pick what we needed then assemblem the guns right in front of us.

I LOVED my gun.................until last week when a friend dropped it in 110 feet 30 miles off the coast. I still had 3 minutes of DECO and thought for a second about chasing the gun - then I looked at my SPG and made the decision not to.

I guess its another stop at MAKO on the way down to NC for the 4th of July!!!!!!!!!

I started with a Sea Hornet Terminator and now upgraded to their 48" wood gun. The shafts are interchangeable with Biller. Nice gun for a great value.

I also have to give a plug to Dano and Mako gear. I have a Riffe, JBL and Mako gun and to me the Mako is the one I use the most. Great service and great equipment!!

I like the Mako as well. Gun is great, so is the Costumer service.
A package from Mako is like Christmas. I never know what extra goodies Dano will throw in. Last time he upgraded my gun for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom