Recommendations for Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoneyGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there in January 2010. I need a recommendation for a dive shop and maybe some comments on the quality of diving in the area. Anyone been there?

Also, I haven't been diving for over a year. Is it likely that a dive shop there would give me a refresher before I go diving so I don't have to do the refresher here at home?

All comments appreciated.

check to see if the resort you're staying at has a boat operator. It might even be included in your "package" as some of them are....

Sandals and Couples resorts include them for example

I've always been disappointed in the diving in Jamaica. Too many fish traps = no big fish. Maint. of boats and dive gear seems to be somewhat hit or miss.

i did dives with Sandals in Ocho Rios in 2003. it was a desert compared to reefs on adjacent islands. the divemaster/guide actually led us to lobsters in a trap and handed them around for people to see. a grabby pod of 10 divers passed the animal around like a peace pipe. When he put them back in the trap, one of the antennae snapped off.

if you still have time, you can do a refresher in town @ lds and do a pool session to refamilliarise yourself with the gear and skills. it shouldn't be too difficult to find an instructor to do an open water skills review in jamaica after that.

bring O rings.

I had great dives on the Ochi wall and Katherine the wreck in September - that can hold their own against dives in Egypt and the Maldives - I even saw my first Jamaican nudibranch on the wall. So don't let all the poo poo put you off. You will enjoy it!

I notice you were going in January - so where did you go in the end and did you have a good time? I would recommend Scuba Jamaica just because they are good fun, very laid back and have so few divers on the boat at anyone time they often give you a choice of sites.

We got back two weeks from Ocho Rios. I didn't go diving. :( My recommendation is to get away from the tourist part and experience the island, which is beautiful if you explore it a bit. Take an excursion. People there are very poor and are continnually either asking for money or trying to sell you something.

Ocho is a tourist pit if you want REAL jamaica without the hassles go to the Westend Negril. Get a room at Catcha Falling Star and take advantage to their dive packages. Only immigrants from other islands hang at the beach areas and they haggle you all day long. Jamaicans live in the cliff area and for the past 6 years we have done a show there. Our folks walk the streets at night in complete safety even women alone after dark. It is a different experience than the compound all- inclusive tourist traps that scare you into thinking you can't leave the area without one of their guides. I wouldn't even consider Ocho!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom