Recommendations for rustic cayes around Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking about the Belize area around October'ish. Any recommendations for isolated, less touristy cayes. We dont need a resort, dont need to be entertained on land...all we need is some decent food and drink, a room and diving. Im not super big on the resort vibe so the more removed from that the better.

On tiny Tobacco Caye, I visited some rustic micro-resort, the name of which I have long since forgotten. I thought the place felt a bit dodgy. Rental gear was threadbare. The boat operation didn't feel very safe--we nearly got swamped once because they insisted on taking the small boat out (for reasons of economy) when weather conditions suggested their bigger boat would have been safer. I realize this doesn't help without the name of the resort--sorry.

We stayed at Turneffe Flats Resort several years ago. Not sure of your price range, but our experience was that it would meet several of your criteria.

I enjoyed Isla Marisol on Glovers Reef. They pick you up from Dangriga. We had a cabana on the ocean with a hammock. There were only about 13 cabanas and communal dining. They also had a bar on a dock over the water where they fed the nurse sharks and tarpon at night which was pretty much the main entertainment. We have our own dive gear so I can't comment on what rental gear was available or the quality. But when we went in November, there were only 2 other couples diving. They use small boats and come back to the caye for surface time between dives so you can snack or nap between dives. Being on the reef really cut down the boat time and Glovers was very fishy.
Belize Island Resort | Glovers Reef Atoll - Isla Marisol

Thanks guys.. These are exactly the kind of leads I was hoping for. We always pack in our own gear so rental conditions don't apply. I need a Cabana And an ocean breeze... Some where off the beaten path and close to great diving and a cold beer

Thinking about the Belize area around October'ish. Any recommendations for isolated, less touristy cayes. We dont need a resort, dont need to be entertained on land...all we need is some decent food and drink, a room and diving. Im not super big on the resort vibe so the more removed from that the better.

Huracan Diving Lodge
www.huracandiving.com
The closest and only dive operation to Belizes most famous dive sites offering accommodations within Lighthouse Reef Atoll and as of recently also providing all dive and transport services for Itza Lodge.

Fellow forum member Stop has been to Huracan Diving Lodge on Long Caye at least a couple of times and highly recommends it.

Another pricey but very nice spot is Turneffe Island Resort. Used to be Turneffe Island Lodge but nothing changed when they changed the name except for maybe the prices, lol. It's the only entity on a 12-acre island. In my mind, it's not so much a "resort" as much as just a first-class operation.

Further south is Hatchet Caye near the Silk Cayes.

On tiny Tobacco Caye, I visited some rustic micro-resort, the name of which I have long since forgotten. I thought the place felt a bit dodgy. Rental gear was threadbare. The boat operation didn't feel very safe--we nearly got swamped once because they insisted on taking the small boat out (for reasons of economy) when weather conditions suggested their bigger boat would have been safer. I realize this doesn't help without the name of the resort--sorry.

Okay, I have now looked it up out of curiosity. I now recall I stayed at Reef's End Lodge.

Tobacco Caye itself was kind of interesting, though. All of three acres.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom