Recommendations for Shore Based Pacific Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanDiegoSidemount

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are trying to find a down-to-earth place in the Pacific to spend a week or so doing some shore based diving.

We have been looking at Dolphin Bay in Fiji (Dolphin Bay Divers (PADI)- very close to Fiji's famous Rainbow Reef! Diving, Snorkeling and great accomodation for every budget) but they are pretty booked during our time frame. Looking for similar situations in other places: rustic accommodations are fine (we are there to dive, not sip drinks by the pool) with great day trips nearby.

We are thinking about bringing our one year old along, so availability of babysitting is important. (That's why Fiji is a top choice, the Fijians love children.)

Flight availability from SoCal is also key, we don't want to spend more than a day in transit each way.

Also, are there any Pacific destinations that offer "unguided" diving (sort of like we do on boats here in SoCal)?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Last edited:
LOVE San Diego and Oceanside and Huntington Beach!!

My wife and I are the new managers, as of January 3rd 2014, at Naigani Island Resort in Fiji.

I am, of course biased, but I think Naigani would be perfect for you and your family. Great diving 5 to 15 minutes from our white sand beach and yet capable of making longer treks (about an hour out) to dive some of the sites that only the liveaboards (and maybe one other land based resort) dive.

Very friendly staff and babysitters readily available from the small village located her on our Island. Excursions to Moon Reef for dolphin watching, picnic beach for a picnic and/or snorkeling, Levuka (the old capitol of Fiji for some history and a small museum), Makongai for some diving to see Giant clambs and maybe go ashore to see the remains of the old leper colony, kayaking, a mountain walk, fishing, and a village tour of a REAL Fijian Village, not a commercialized "touristy" adventure.

Shoot me a PM or email me at naiganiusa@gmail.com if you are interested in further information and, by all means, make Fiji your destination!!

If they can squeeze you in at Dolphin Bay I could recommend it as it sounds like what you are after. Shore diving there is ok and great reef diving is very close by. We had a great stay last April.

san diego- Just trying to qualify what you are asking.My take is you want to be staying in a resort and venture out to do some diving during the day.
My personal choice would be mololo island resort. The divings not bad and the place is fantastic--2 tank morning boat dives leaves you free to do other stuff in the arternoon

Shore diving is rarely the best of what's around in the Pacific. If the desire is to have a more intimate experience without a crowd of people and/or to control your own schedule, I'd recommend chartering a boat and getting out to the offshore sites; which are fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom