Recommended 1st live-aboard for ..........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm retiring in two months (at a pretty youthful 55), and I would like to do a week-long live-aboard next year in the Carribean. My non-diver wife will stay at home in California, and I'm only interested in doing some intensive diving. I have only 40 dives in 3 years to date since OW certification.

Can anybody suggest a good live-aboard operator in the Carribean/Bahamas, etc. for someone like me? I do like a little luxury, and the availability of a single room would be a definite plus.

Scubagolf:
Can anybody suggest a good live-aboard operator in the Carribean/Bahamas, etc. for someone like me? I do like a little luxury, and the availability of a single room would be a definite plus.

For very good diving that's also easy, I'd go for Belize. There are two good operators there: The Nekton and the Aggressor. I've done the Nekton Belize trip three times and will go again the next time I can. I've done Aggressor boats a couple of times but not in Belize.

If you want a little more luxury then you might want to look at the Aggressor.

If you think you might have a problem with sea sickness then go with the Nekton.

Personally I prefer the Nekton but both are fine boats and you'll have a good trip either way.

Luke

Update: I couldn't stand it any more. I just booked a trip on the Pilot for next March. Whoo Hoo! :D

I agree with the Belize recommendation, especially since you will be flying from the West coast. There are actually 3 liveaboard operators in Belize, but I wouldn't recommend the third just because of the way they handled a very sad incident regarding the whole boat capsizing at dock with many fatilities.

I would also like to go on this one: http://www.explorerventures.com/tcexhtml/turksindex.html

Since you live in California, do you dive there too? There are some pretty decent liveaboards that go out of Santa Barbara and Ventura.

My own vote , hands down, would be the Bay Islands. Mostly quite shallow as well as usually very calm, and awesome macro life and night diving.

I was in Belize and wouldn't actually consider it a great site for beginners.

I dove from the Wind Dancer, which I loved, but I believe it now reclines on the bottom.

Scubagolf:
I'm only interested in doing some intensive diving. I have only 40 dives in 3 years to date since OW certification.

As the others above, I like the Western Caribbean and I prefer the Nekton over the others.

There is a new boat, the Utila Aggressor that will be operating soon if not already.

The Bay Islands Aggressor is no longer, as a previous poster noyed, but it is not an artificial reef.

Do the math, however. A liveaboard... $2000/week (Utila) or $2500/week (Belice) http://www.aggressor.com/rates.php

Look hard at CoCoView www.cocoviewresort.com, under $900 and you can make 6 a day, but most likely you'll flop into bed after 5.

Just about 1/3 the cost.

My 1st experience with a Live Aboard was the Grand Cayman IV Aggressor. I have done 3 other live aboards since then. But for 5 dives a day, great food, great calm diving, and comfortable living quarters you can't find a better trip.

doole:
I dove from the Wind Dancer, which I loved, but I believe it now reclines on the bottom.
That would be the Wave Dancer. The Wind Dancer is in Tobago nowadays.

CocoView and other resorts are an option but I prefer a Live Aboard. You set your gear up once. You take you regulator off between dives for fills while you snack or nap. Nitrox is available. Pull off your wetsuit/skin (is all I ever dive in and I get in 25 dives in a week usually) hang it above your tank, warm towels after each dive, hot cocoa, or your choice after the night dive. Great crews, 3 big meals a day with wine in the evening, 3 snacks a day, usually local draft beer on tap. Nice camera table, plenty of electrical plug ins for Laptops, light battery chargers, camera battery chargers. Personally for a dive trip a Live Aboard is the way to go - no worrying about where to eat, what to do during surface interavals and get up in the morning with a great view.

Scubagolf:
I'm retiring in two months (at a pretty youthful 55), and I would like to do a week-long live-aboard next year in the Carribean. My non-diver wife will stay at home in California, and I'm only interested in doing some intensive diving. I have only 40 dives in 3 years to date since OW certification.

Try the Juliet. She's a 3 masted schooner sailboat that leaves from Miami and sails down around the southern Bahamas. The rates are good and you get a private cabin. You also get to help sail her.

http://www.sailjuliet.com/menu/aboardjuliet.html

The dives in that area are between 30-70 feet so you should be ok as OW diver with limited experience.

My wife and I were on the Nekton Rorqual (nektoncruises.com) and had a ball. The boat is very comfortable especially the dive platform. The first day you set up your BC on your tank and that is the last time you have to deal with it in that they fill your tank on the dive paltform in place. We did the Cay Sal Bank trip. They go to a number of reefs off the beaten path. We did not see any other boats or any people other then on the first and last diving days. We will go back as soon as possible. At least 1/2 the divers were repeat Nekton travelors.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom