Recommended dive op in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK I’ll bite and recommend my LDS, Tres Pelicanos. Seriously the requirement of three dives a day is problematic. Due to the distance from the southern Caleta to the dive sites most quality operators run 2 dive (2 tank) trips a day; one in the AM and then another in the afternoon (or a twilight / night combo). The exception would be the southern AI hotels in-house ops which by most reports bring you back to the cattle op problem with timed dives. I personally would love to do three 60 -80 minute dives a day (8 AM to 3 PM) over a 7-9 day trip as opposed to skipping between 2 and 4 dives a day, but I understand the economics for the operators.
The second requirement of serious photography which poses another problem; photography in Cozumel can be difficult due to the current. When you mix hard core photographers with the average recreational divers in a current it becomes a mess. Be realistic, if you did not have a camera, would you wish to spend 5-10 minutes illegally clinging to a barrel sponge like a flag while another diver got his perfect Macro picture of a cleaner shrimp?
You have three divers now, until mid-November it is the slow season, perhaps you could inquire about a charter. A couple more divers and the pricing would be decent.

Last edited:
For the drift dives it is wide angle with strobes. Get in fire and move on. For macro it is shore diving, Scubaclub, Hotel Cozumel etc.

For the drift dives it is wide angle with strobes. Get in fire and move on. For macro it is shore diving, Scubaclub, Hotel Cozumel etc.
Whatever.

Secretary Blenny Out!.jpg

Roughhead Blenny.jpg

Frog1.jpg

Frog2.jpg

Another vote for Raul with BTD or Jeremy with LU. They both do a great job of finding the really small stuff. Just let them know what you are after. They are similar ops in that they run smaller boats and have a full service business plan. They both have nice reliable boats with high HP. Both are great people to talk with up top as well.

The big differences are the tanks and price. LU has STL tanks and cost a little more and BTD uses AL and charges a little less. I will say that my bottom times are about the same with either one. Raul is the best that I have found at letting you dive your tanks and computer.

I sometimes will switch between them half way through a week because I enjoy diving with them equally.

You can't go wrong with either one.

PH

If you are looking for three dives per day, then I will recommend my friends at SEA ROBIN. (I have an in depth report on them back in my post archives here, if you care to take a look) They have absolutely no problem with 3 dives a day, and actually have that option figured into their pricing structure. We have been using them for years, and you couldn't ask for a better boat or nicer people. They are also one of the few I have seen who will provide a large tub of fresh water for soaking cameras, not just a 5 gallon pail. Much appreciated. They also provide free gear if you don't want to schlep your stuff through the airlines, and they take nice care of your gear for you if you want.

If you are looking for three dives per day, then I will recommend my friends at SEA ROBIN. (I have an in depth report on them back in my post archives here, if you care to take a look) They have absolutely no problem with 3 dives a day, and actually have that option figured into their pricing structure. We have been using them for years, and you couldn't ask for a better boat or nicer people. They are also one of the few I have seen who will provide a large tub of fresh water for soaking cameras, not just a 5 gallon pail. Much appreciated. They also provide free gear if you don't want to schlep your stuff through the airlines, and they take nice care of your gear for you if you want.

Eduardo is a great DM!

Del Mar Aquatics, next best thing to valet diving and most of the time if there is interest they have a third dive and sometimes a night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom