Question Recommended Service Interval for Deep 6 Signature Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
For permission to use my Deep 6 regs in an aquarium in which I volunteer, I need to provide service records for my regs. I have those, but what I can't find is a "recommended service interval" for Deep 6 signature regs. I know, "when they need it," but that doesn't satisfy the bureaucracy. I though there was a "two years" listed somewhere, but I can't find it. Any ideas?

For permission to use my Deep 6 regs in an aquarium in which I volunteer, I need to provide service records for my regs. I have those, but what I can't find is a "recommended service interval" for Deep 6 signature regs. I know, "when they need it," but that doesn't satisfy the bureaucracy. I though there was a "two years" listed somewhere, but I can't find it. Any ideas?
Recommended annual inspection at one year. Recommended rebuild at two years or as needed. Since you are a volunteer I'm going to guess you are not diving every day.
I have HOG/Edge regs at the Pittsburgh Aquarium that they bought for use by staff and they get used (sometimes abused) every day 7 days a week up to twice a day with a 3rd not out of the question. As a result, rebuilds, especially on 2nd stages, are more often.
I have a customer who sends his regs and BC to me every year for use in the NYC Aquarium. I do the inspection and if a rebuild is required that gets done. What I send back is a report with the cracking, IP and any work done that he gives to them to keep in their files.
It states on the bottom of the report that the equipment meets all factory specs and when the next check is due.
I sign and date it with my Reg Tech Instructor number.

I last dove in May 2019. As a vacation diver, 2020 and 2021 were dry, so the regs have been sitting in a reg bag for two+ years now. Is it time to send them in, even without any usage for all this time? I have read something about having the purge button stored pressed, but have not read anything about Signature series needing that. Is there any regular usage I need to do with it, like rent a tank and breathe from it, do a test in a pool, etc.? Thanks!

I last dove in May 2019. As a vacation diver, 2020 and 2021 were dry, so the regs have been sitting in a reg bag for two+ years now. Is it time to send them in, even without any usage for all this time? I have read something about having the purge button stored pressed, but have not read anything about Signature series needing that. Is there any regular usage I need to do with it, like rent a tank and breathe from it, do a test in a pool, etc.? Thanks!
The answer is, it depends. How well were they rinsed before they were stored? How many dives on them before they were put away?
They should be stored with the breathing adjustment knob in the easiest breathing position to take excess pressure off of the LP seat in the second stage.
Every diver who owns their own regs and has access to a cylinder should have an IP gauge that attaches to the LP inflator hose. It's a $20 item that can save you money, time, and at the same time tell you that you have a problem.
The IP on the Deep Six regs is 135 PSI +/- 5 PSI. It will go up slightly at 300-500 PSI but should not be over 145. 140 is ok at 500 PSI. 145 tells me that it's been well broken in and seen some amount of use and is getting close to needing serviced usually.
Creeping or readings over 145 and it needs serviced.
Second stages may need rebuilt sooner than 1sts because the seat is a softer material and use of the breathing adjust knob varies the pressure on the seat. Not at all unusual to have a 1st stage that's good after 2 years and needs nothing but the seconds may have been done once before and need it again.
Use, storage, and position of the adjustment knob can effect the 2nd stage since the seat is in contact with the orifice when the air is off and there is spring pressure on it.
Just as an FYI, I am very familiar with the Deep Six reg as I am the one who wrote the service manual for it.

Good answer @Jim Lapenta but OP's question is for bureaucratic reasons only. The aquarium wants it serviced within manufacturer specs timeframe regardless of IP or number of dives.

Good answer @Jim Lapenta but OP's question is for bureaucratic reasons only. The aquarium wants it serviced within manufacturer specs timeframe regardless of IP or number of dives.
The OP has had his question answered satisfactorily, but much appreciates the additional info from the service-manual author! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom