recommended wing lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scc135

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was thinking to get a bp/w setup, but needed some advice on a wing. Looking at the bouyancy calculator, it seems that I would need roughly 30 lbs with a 7mm farmer john (using 24/12 lb in the calculator) and an hp120. Is there any reason to get a 40 lb wing unless I'm going with a drysuit? I would like to be able to use the wing for tropical and for NE diving, possibly even ice diving.

about me:
6'
225 lb
using rental back inflate bcd in tropics, no exp suit, al80: 4lb weight

If you are considering ice diving you will be in a dry suit. So you might need some extra weight. Also, add in a few pounds for a light. Many folks have a can light which might replace a couple of pounds on your belt though. I have a wing that is rated at 35lbs for both warm/cold or wet/dry diving.

It depends where your ballast is.

If you use a belt/harness for some weight in cold water, the 30 is really a nice size for almost anyone with a single tank. I ran my numbers on the bouyancy spreadsheet and it was within 1lb of actual (23-24lbs total) and use a 30lb wing.

If on the other hand you have all your weight on your rig (integrated or a combination of S/S plate and a big heavy tank) and you are a big person (XL+), you can run out of lift on the surface to float your rig. Then a slightly larger (35 or 40) can be nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom