Recreational Helium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a byproduct of natural radioactive processes, and so light that it floats off into the atmosphere if it isn't captured.

True, but it also replenishes itself constantly. Although known reserves are being run down, we should (in theory) never "run out" of helium, so long as we can keep locating new reserves. Like oil, but without the millions of years needed to turn from dinosaur into Esso premium.

I hope you are now and then able to do a safe ascent from depth without a buddy/team, if not at this stage then you need to work on that first! :wink:

Well, this is an interesting tangent. A safe solo ascent if all my equipment continues to function? Yes. A safe ascent under various failure scenarios? I feel more confident handling certain failures with a team than without one.

And given that the trade-off of Helium is less of a margin for error on ascents, my feeling is that it is a reasonable choice when you have a team you trust but highly suspect on an insta-buddy dive when you might sufer a failure that forces you to rely on the buddy to ascend.

Does that clarify things?

Back
Top Bottom