Recreational Trimix classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As somebody said about a week ago on this thread, 99.99% of people wouldn't bother using Tri on 100-130ft dives.

Sure you could, but nobody would spend the money. Really, they wouldn't.

A 200ft dive cost me $75.00 CDN including deco gas. so what's that, about $55.oo USD.

Can you imagine spend something slightly less than that (for a shallower depth) on a recreational dive?? Sure, since you wouldn't be doing deco, it WOULD be a fair bit less, but ain't no one ante-ing in on this one.

The risk-reward factor at 100ft isn't worth the $$$$

Not a chance.

Sure, somebody's gonna be silly and say "what's your life worth", then I'd tell them to hang up their fins forever if they truly believe that on a 110ft dive.

Shoot, you guys are mostly 100ft PLUS vis, and warm warm warm water. 110ft in those conditions is childs play.

I personally give people more credit in the smarts category than that.

Regards.

DeepScuba once bubbled...

[snip]

It's really that simple. Anyone interested enough in DIRf will probably go onto Tech 1, or never do another class with GUE again.
[snip]

There are other options for someone on the GUE track... DIRF to Cave 1... less knowledge intensive than Tech 1 (but not necessary less skill intensive).

A scenario that I could see happening would be for someone with the Cave 1 cert (and content with doing this level of cave diving), might consider the addition of Triox to their toolbox as a good addition for diving Devil's or Little River-type cave systems. Still non-deco type diving (in the traditional deco bottle sense), but provides gases that can increase bottom time, enhance mental clarity at depth, and decrease "work-of-breathing" due to reduced density of helium.

Might be a good addition for someone that likes cave diving, but not interested in the "Tech deco" track....

just my 2 cents,
bob

boomx5 once bubbled...
Leading up to the RecTriOx class I trained pretty hard and still found the class extremely challenging.
So I'd probably fall on my ASCII? :D

Shoot, you guys are mostly 100ft PLUS vis, and warm warm warm water. 110ft in those conditions is childs play.

You are so pompous it's unbelievable.

Rec_triox Underlaps Tech 1

As in, if'n you's gonna do Tech 1, then don't bother with Rec_Triox
Cute.

You continue to demonstrate your lack of understand of the relationship between these courses. Rec Triox is essentially the first part of Tech 1. You can take Rec Triox then a bridge class to Tech 1. No overlap, no redundancy, no covering material twice. What's wrong with this? Oh, right... "underlapping".

Does TDI's Entry Level Trimix "underlap" their Advanced Trimix? Well according to their website the entry level course
"provides the training required to competenly[sic] and safely utilize breathing gasses containing helium for dives that require staged decompression, utilizing nitrox and/or oxygen mixtures during decompression to a maximum depth of 200fsw/60msw."
Which is interesting because the advanced class
"provides the training required to competenly[sic] and safely utilize breathing gasses containing helium for dives that require staged decompression, utilizing nitrox and/or oxygen mixtures during decompression to a maximum depth of 300fsw/100msw."
According to TDI's official description of the class the only difference is 100fsw/40msw. The descriptions are word-for-word the same until the depth limit -- so much so that they both misspelled competently! It would appear that entry level underlaps advanced, but what do I know I'm just a dumb redneck, right?

It's really that simple. Anyone interested enough in DIRf will probably go onto Tech 1, or never do another class with GUE again.

Oh my god, you really don't get it do you?

As far as the "Class work" is concerned, you can get it for free.............heck, it's all a click away from your current spot on the chair.

It's live, accurate and playing in Stereo.

I have Ba-Zillions of downloaded video of real-life DIR-Dudes telling us all they know.

The rest only comes from YOU diving and training.

This is equivalent to saying you don't need to go to college because you can get a public library card for free.

This argument has nothing to do with what information is available. You're simply a pugnacious twit that can't manage to string together a coherent criticism.

Cornfed

Uhmmmmmm, whatever, m'buddy cornfed,

This Pony's run it course.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but sorry, that's all you're gonna get today.

One thing I wil say, is that you have made my point exactly RE TDI levels of Trimix.

Definately underlapping (you owe me 20 cents), which is exactly why I wouldn't take both.

Let me see if I can shed some light behind our intention(s) of the GUE Triox program..

The underlying spirit and intention of the class is to fill a void that some of us believe exists in the industry. While for certain the helium content has spurred the curiousity of many, the class is more aligned with what many of us believe should be a true advanced diving class. More often the not, most AOW classes today are an immediate extension of the OW class. Some believe that the OW programs have been diluted significantly so the AOW is the completion of OW training.

A true Advanced diving class should, in my opinion, be about learning proper protocols to dive in the 80' - 120', including proper gas choice, proper team protocols, proper gas management, ascent rate startegies and refining fundamental skills that are often ignored. Against that background we released the Recreational Triox program. I think too many people focus on the helium aspect, whereas we believe that helium is but one small tool in the tool box when you are planning a dive in the 80' - 120' range..

I hope that more fully explains the program, but please let me know if you have any questions..

Regards

If there is an official thread for asking questions about DIR philosophy, I apologize.

I was reading the fundamentals book, and if I may refer to Chapter 5 "An Overview of the DIR Equipment Configuration."

GUE "encourages the [process of learning and evolution]"
However, the process of evolution isn't in keeping with the holistic approach of DIR because the system isn't learned as a whole. QUOTE: [This all or nothing view is also relevant to considerations surrounding the equipment configuration itself]

My question is: is it part of DIR philosophy that divers do not evolve their equipment until the entire equipment set is in place?

The reason I ask is quite simply financial. I'm in school, but I'm sure I could get a bit of equipment for b'day and festivus. When I graduate, have money and a job, I think I'd appreciate what GUE offers.

Thanks

Of course, one can by-pass all of that by getting trained as a mixed-gas CCR diver, and then you will always have the correct gas mix for the job regardless of your depth. You'll save a lot of money on helium as well!:wink:

baenglish73 once bubbled...
If there is an official thread for asking questions about DIR philosophy, I apologize.

My question is: is it part of DIR philosophy that divers do not evolve their equipment until the entire equipment set is in place?

The reason I ask is quite simply financial. I'm in school, but I'm sure I could get a bit of equipment for b'day and festivus. When I graduate, have money and a job, I think I'd appreciate what GUE offers.

Thanks

I think the best way to answer the question is to say that you don't become DIR overnight, and even if you go out and buy every single piece of gear that we recommend it still doesn't make you DIR. It's a process that takes a while, and as such as your financial position allows you can start accumulating the proper equipment.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask..

Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom