Recreational Trimix classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK once bubbled...
I think the best way to answer the question is to say that you don't become DIR overnight, and even if you go out and buy every single piece of gear that we recommend it still doesn't make you DIR. It's a process that takes a while, and as such as your financial position allows you can start accumulating the proper equipment.
Likewise, slapping a poodle jacket on your back with split fins and a UK-D8 light would not make you a stroke... it would just make you a very inefficient DIR diver.

The original post was about the IANTD and GUE Courses. As I understand it the IANTD stuff was to be launched at DEMA. As this has now finished has anyone got a view on their course as opposed to the usual DIR debate?
I would like to do the IANTD Advanced REC TMX as (I believe) it is a 45m (150 fsw) course.

Chris

Chris,

You would do well choosing the IANTD course. Tom Mount, the founding father of IANTD, is one of the pre-eminent members of the founders of our technical diving sport. He does not allow either his courses or his instructors to stray from the mark of excellence.:D

chrisch once bubbled...
The original post was about the IANTD and GUE Courses. As I understand it the IANTD stuff was to be launched at DEMA. As this has now finished has anyone got a view on their course as opposed to the usual DIR debate?
I would like to do the IANTD Advanced REC TMX as (I believe) it is a 45m (150 fsw) course.

Chris

I emailed IANTD this morning...

Hello Drew.
Yes, IANTD now offers a Recreational and Advanced Recreational Trimix Diver
course. The details are included in the new standards, and manuals are
available for the course now. To take the course, a diver need only be
certified as an Advanced Open Water diver or as a Nitrox Diver. Advanced
Recreational Trimix is designed to be taught with the Advanced Nitrox class.
You can find the standards that include this at
www.iantd.com/standards/IANTD_Standards_2003.pdf

Thank you!

David Mount
General Manager
IANTD World Headquarters
305-751-4873 iantd.com

sasdasdaf once bubbled...
Was that meant as a joke?

No, it was not meant as a joke, and if you have the dive history and credentials to criticize Tom Mount, you had best start typing, because you are going to have to go along way to best his experience level!=-)

I don't have anywhere close to Tom Mount's experience but I do disagree with your statement.

You said that "He does not allow either his courses or his instructors to stray from the mark of excellence."

Have you seen IANTD instructors in action???

Have you seen IANTD instructors in action???

Yes I have.

Shut up before you make yourself look like more of a fool.

My opinion is the agency's standards are poor and lax. If one has to rely on the individual instructor to exceed the minimum standards in order to get a good educational experience, then the standards are lacking.

There are good IANTD instructors out there but that is not a result of IANTD's standards.

My opinion is the agency's standards are poor and lax. If one has to rely on the individual instructor to exceed the minimum standards in order to get a good educational experience, then the standards are lacking.

There are good IANTD instructors out there but that is not a result of IANTD's standards.

Here are IANTD's current standards

http://www.iantd.com/standards/IANTD_Standards_2003.pdf

Please cite specific examples off where they are "poor and lax".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom