recreational trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonahfab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just finished up my gas blender class today and the instructor mentioned something about a recreational trimix class offered through naui. Didn't get a chance to go into it further with the instructor due to time, so I was wondering if any here could give me any experience that they have had with the class. It sounds like something I would be into, I loved my nitrox class and have thought about doing advanced nitrox but don't have any interest in diving deep (recreational limits are fine for me.) So just wanted to get any info I could on class, pros and cons andthat sort of thing.
thanks in advance.

I am not in the trimix stage though. If you take the tech trimix, it will cover a rec. area..... If then, why do you want to take a rec trimix class. It is much cheapter to take?

OK so you only want to dive recreational limits so about 130ft max. If you dive above 100ft nitrox 32 or 36 is perfect. So I guessing you would like to use Trimix between 100and 130ft. So I decided to punch the number on my V-Planner so see the advantage.

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 2 day 0 hr 0 min.
Altitude = 0ft
Conservatism = + 1

Dec to 130ft (2) on Trimix 28.0/25.0, 50ft/min descent.
Level 130ft 7:24 (10) on Trimix 28.0/25.0, 1.38 ppO2, 64ft END
Asc to 30ft (13) on Trimix 28.0/25.0, -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 30ft 0:40 (14) on Trimix 28.0/25.0, 0.53 ppO2, 4ft END
Stop at 20ft 1:00 (15) on Trimix 28.0/25.0, 0.45 ppO2, 0ft END
Stop at 10ft 1:00 (16) on Trimix 28.0/25.0, 0.36 ppO2, 0ft END
Asc to sfc. (16) on Trimix 28.0/25.0, -30ft/min ascent.

So you see that even if you spend only 10 minutes at 130ft using 28%O2 and 25% helium you will have deco. With an END of 64ft you would be free or narcosis that for sure. But for only 10 minutes of bottom time including descent IMO I don't see a big advantage of using trimix for rec. diving. I would stick to Nitrox. Now I used this kind of mix (25TX25) myself for dive to 120-140'range but I spend 40 minutes at the bottom, and I will deco on 50% nitrox.

Cheers

Al

First, you need to ask yourself WHY you want to dive stage decompression. Then, you really need to discuss your continuing education to trimix with SEVERAL instructors first, at least by phone. Here are some NAUI Technical Instructors that you can at least call (very experienced NAUI heavyweights, these men):

John Duggan, NAUI & NAUI Technical Courses Director, Duggan Diving (210) 658-7495

Peter Den Haan, NAUI & NAUI Technical Courses Director, Progressive Diving Institute (425) 891-6541

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took all my mixed gas courses through a very experienced deep diver, now on the NAUI Tec Board of Directors. Trimix I requires stage decompression, and you must learn those techniques prior to taking the course.

Also, you've got a couple of courses to take before you get to the Trimix I Diver Course. You really need to read this page and go through it over in your mind several times, NAUI Tec Courses: http://www.naui.org/technical_divers.php#decom

By the way, the Helitrox/Heliox courses replaced the old Extended Range Course (nicknamed Deep Air) which was a deep course made on air alone - those courses may meet your needs.

I've done some searching online about the topic, and first it is offered by iantd, not naui. Off their web site:
1) This program is designed to provide sport divers with a breathing medium for extending their dives to sport diving depths by using end's in the 40 to 80 fsw.
2) The program covers the use of rec diving mixes in the range of 28 - 40% o2 with helium content to provide end no greater then 80 fsw.

NAUI's version of Recreational Trimix is called Helitrox.

The Helitrox class can be taken by itself. It will reduce narcosis, but it isn't going to increase your bottom time.

I took a NAUI Technical Diver course. It included Technical Nitrox, Deco Proceedures, and Helitrox. This class will certify you to 150'. An Excellent class!! Just what I needed to dive Lake Erie and St Lawrence Seaway Wrecks!! In our Freshawater Lakes and Rivers the deeper you go the better shape the wrecks are in!! :D

This year I'm moving on to Trimix and Technical Wreck Penetration. There are wrecks in the 150' to 200' range that I want to see!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom