Recsea or Fisheye housing for S95 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great explanation Slowhands. To add one more thing to it, the free electrons from the aluminum are flowing toward (and bonding to) the stainless pushrods under the buttons. The resulting corosion buildup can lead to erosion of the rubber seals. And as it is something that doesn't just wash off, it's just best to prevent it before it starts.

have the rescea s95 housing and poss dived less that 50 dives and not all sea dives, it has been wel soaked after use but i now notice there is some kind of corrison on the rim by the 0-ring, not what i expect from such an expensive housing and very disapointing

I see the point of Darwin ulcs tray is aluminium so there is no donor issue there
Still may be advisable to put some spacers between the tray and camera
The tray wings are also steel so zinc there would not hurt but maybe do nothing either?

recsea or fisheye...well depending where you live i am now having trouble getting o-rings for my recsea...CUW arent getting any in, when i got this housing i was cuffed to bits with it and loved it, it is now the biggest costly mistake of my life..trouble getting o-rings and corrosion forming already and two leaks on top of that not just bad but poss the worse customer service i have come across ...stick with fisheye

Am I missing something here? To get a reaction between the aluminium and stainless steel don't you need salt water? I disassemble all components of my Recsea95 rig and soak all parts in fresh water after each diving day and cannot see any signs of corrosion after a year (60 dives) and I would have been suprised if I did.

Yes the idea is that if the housing is made of aluminum and the tray of steel you could get corrosion when you dive
However if your tray is the same material of the housing like most are aluminum then this situation does not exists except for the screws on the exterior of the housing which are steel (galvanised)
How many screws are there outside the recsea housing? Not many: the cold shoe is one, the door hinges and that is pretty much it as the rest are inside the housing and are not exposed to salt water

Last edited:
After talking to a few friends with aluminium DSLR housings which all have zinc anodes I think I'll get a couple of zinc washers for the tray hold down screws. May be overkill, but actually there are quite a few stainless external fastenings on a recsea housing.

Great explanation Slowhands. To add one more thing to it, the free electrons from the aluminum are flowing toward (and bonding to) the stainless pushrods under the buttons. The resulting corosion buildup can lead to erosion of the rubber seals. And as it is something that doesn't just wash off, it's just best to prevent it before it starts.
The stainless push-rods would need to be in electrical contact with the housing for this to happen... And i assume they arn't (?) So it'll be salt and dissolved minerals doing the depositing when out of the water and drying out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom