Red Filter recommendation for Sony RX100/Nauticam housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleomagic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just purchased a Sony RX100 with a Nauticam housing. I plan on using the camera to shoot stills and video. For stills, I can use the tools on land to add the red tones back into the photo, but how do I address video? In the past, I have used a red filter. Was looking for other peoples thoughts/ideas on this. Thanks in advance for the help!

I have used filters with the RX100 and I can tell you that you don't need one. The in camera custom white balance though difficult to operate is incredibly sophisticated and allows fine tuning of temperature and tint definitely spare yourself a filter as it is now worth it

Any experience using video editing tools? I was thinking about using Adobe Premier Elements to further fine tune the white balance. One less lens underwater would be nice :)

You nearly don't need to if you white balance. I use iMovie and that works well. I have installed premiere elements and uninstalled in two days, the 3 way corrector is an overkill the RGB corrections are all you need but I find premiere just painful with the rendering and conversion options

I just installed a trial version of premier elements to see how it works. I have a video of a squid (from my previous camera) to try it on and will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for the help!

---------- Post added February 10th, 2013 at 03:45 PM ----------

Hmmm, played with Adobe Premiere Elements, and it does not do what I want it to do.... Went looking through the camera to figure out how to set white balance for video, and cannot find it - can you step me through how to do that?

---------- Post added February 10th, 2013 at 03:51 PM ----------

Well.... Just found your other post on how to set the white balance for video. Putting the link here for other people to use. Hmmm, I might be back to buying the red filter. I don't want to be spending a lot of time underwater playing with settings and miss my video opportunity.

Sony RX100 ? Tips for UW Video Part 3 Setting Custom White Balance « Interceptor121 Underwater Video

---------- Post added February 10th, 2013 at 05:20 PM ----------

Just downloaded a trial version of Adobe Lightroom. Played with it for about 15 minutes, and this might get me what I am looking for. Anyone else use Lightroom to adjust color in video? And tips/tricks you have?

First of all with my step by step though not ideal the white balance set is manageable
With white balance set to auto a filter would only acceptable with plenty of light generally at shallow depth optimal results are always with filter + custom white balance

I have used filters with the RX100 and I can tell you that you don't need one. The in camera custom white balance though difficult to operate is incredibly sophisticated and allows fine tuning of temperature and tint definitely spare yourself a filter as it is now worth it

How green filter for algae water

Just to close on this thread - it turns out the Ikelite 6441.41 red filter fits nicely over my UWL-105AD lens, so I will be using that combination for my videos.

To Loeth - if you do not want to go through the white balance steps, you might want to consider the same filter in purple, to compensate for the green water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom