Red sea drift dive/current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claplant:
Thank you all for the info.

On week-end I went to a map/travel book store and found: Lonely Planet Diving&Snorkeling Red Sea. Most of the major dive sites are in it and among other things they are talking about the current for each of the dive site.

The only thing that I can say is that most of the information on the book match the information given, so I think that I can trust the book.

Thanx.

:wink: Perhaps LP gathered the information in this very forum... :D

Havn't seen this specific book, but LP guides have also drawbacks/cons, so don't take the stuff written there for granted.
Besides LP, there are some really good dive-site encyclopedias for Egypt in the market, the ones that back at home you'd keep close on the shelf so you can have a look from time to time for fun, memories, planning and dreaming about the next trip :14:

Jai Bar
The major problem though is that the best books you can buy in Egypt not abroad.....
:D
Mania

Yeah...this is a very good reason to do so....
There is a new book on the Red Sea species - I have to buy it.
Mania

I was once in a current diving near some small Islands out of Hurgada in the Red Sea. On one particular dive we were warned the currents would be strong. We all exited the boat and went down together. A strong current took us down. At 60 feet I noticed that we were still going down, I was getting concerned. I filled my BC and started to kick hard. At 110ft. I slowly started to make headway and then it was a race to stop my asccent. Somewhere between 40ft. and 20 ft. I had all the air back out of my BC and the current took us in a horizontal trip at a good clip near the hugh sea fans we were wanting to see on this dive. After 50yds. past the sea fans, the current stopped and we spent the rest of the dive in about 15 to 20 ft. with no current.
The dive was my first experience with a down current, quite scary, but no time to panick, just remember your training.

Back
Top Bottom