Red Sea (Egypt) closed (covid-19 confined)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@P-Dog: it might make things tricky but do you have options to fly direct to Hurghada oder Marsa Alam if your LOB starts from there.

I'm flying on Emirates through Dubai and they only fly to Cairo. I'm using miles for the trip - I don't want to pay money just in case it gets canceled again. Using frequent flier miles is really easy. I just put them back in my account with no fuss. That limits me, though. I don't have an option to fly to Hurghada or Marsa Alam.

I might be able to fly to Istanbul and then Hurghada...I can check that out. Emirates has limited their availability of award flights to nearly zero recently. At this point, I'm holding onto my award ticket like it's gold.

Both Egypt and French Polynesia will be open. Trying to figure out which is better for a relatively new teen diver who has only been to the Bahamas. Sharm El Sheikh is certainly the better value, but FP seems like their opening plan is better with more rigorous testing requirements. Which has more life and better coral?

@KidDocDMC
When and from where? from the US? Liveaboard? Shore Dive? House Reef? Wreck?
I would make it dependent of the travel effort and health risk.
French Polynesia should be fine Corona-wise (60 cases, 0 death), Egypt a bit more risky, although tourist spots are low risk.
You will also have to consider who will let you in (possibly with a negative Covid-19 test).
FP may me closer, i've never been there, so no first hand views.
Egypt is plenty of very nice spots...

PS: ok, i just saw the other thread where you say August.
My views on August? too early for any travel, esp. from the US.
Egypt in August is 40-45° C.... so, i would rather take FP.

@KidDocDMC
French Polynesia should be fine Corona-wise (60 cases, 0 death), Egypt a bit more risky, although tourist spots are low risk.
You will also have to consider who will let you in (possibly with a negative Covid-19 test).

Thanks!

@KidDocDMC

I'm off to Egypt in August, but I'm coming from an island with only one case of Covid-19. I guess we'll see if the US is on the banned countries list of incoming tourists, though. I read that the EU is considering keeping Americans out. I wonder if Egypt will do the same?

Well... you are still going to have a travel experience of a lifetime :wink: Please post full report, once you are back.
Although August is one month to go, the current situation is that you will need a medical insurance covering the stay in Egypt in the current circumstances as well as a negative PCR Covid-19 test. That may change in 30 days, but i would be on the safe side of things and get a confirmation from the insurance as well as an appointment for a PCR test max 48 hours before leaving.

Well... you are still going to have a travel experience of a lifetime :wink: Please post full report, once you are back.
Although August is one month to go, the current situation is that you will need a medical insurance covering the stay in Egypt in the current circumstances as well as a negative PCR Covid-19 test. That may change in 30 days, but i would be on the safe side of things and get a confirmation from the insurance as well as an appointment for a PCR test max 48 hours before leaving.

I assume they mean the Emergency Medical coverage I have in my travel insurance policy? I also have DAN coverage for diving related incidents.

From the article: "Travelers arriving from countries declared by the WHO as severely infected with Covid-19 up to the epidemic level are required to submit a recent PCR test result upon entry to Egypt. The test must be done in the source country in a maximum of 48 hours prior the travel date. The list of the countries concerned will be announced on a regular basis on the WHO’s website."

Looks like I'll have to talk to my doctor about where to get a PCR test. Although my island only has one case, the USA is not in the same boat.

Back
Top Bottom