Red Sea on a budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllenG

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions of packages (air & diving - land-based or liveaboard) in the Red Sea for mid-February or mid-April. I have been spoiled by the relative affordability of Carribean diving (and the associated air travel cost), so I know I will be in for a bit of a sticker shock. But I nonetheless looking for a basic budget approach, as opposed to a $$$ vacation of a lifetime.

First off, what would either of these time frames do for me re weather, conditions, high vs. low season, etc.

Next, for people travelling from the East Coast of the USA, are there packages flying direct (to Egypt, albeit not necessarily to the coast) or does one go through some European hub? We can get to London with relative ease on the wallet. Are there packages out of London that would be better than the scant offerings from US travel agents?

Then, the perennial question? Is there better value in liveaboard vs. land-based? I don't know how far out the better Red Sea diving is.

Finally, any specific suggestions that folks can offer re agencies, operations, etc.

As always, thanks!!

I haven't been to the Red Sea for about 3 years but if I recall correctly I think we pulled it in for about $2,500 left from JFK or LaGuardia landed in Cairo and to a puddle jumper to Sharm, liveaboard for 8 days pudle jumper back to Cairo stayed there for three days to do all the required touristy stuff and had a blast! I think if you are going to do it go for the live aboard we were doing 5 dives a day every day and would have done 6 if we could have found a way to go with out sleep<g>. The diving was incredible, my info isn't up to date sorry about that but I'd do it again in a heart beat.

If your main aim is diving, go for a live-aboard. There is excellent diving close to shore (some resorts literally sit on the reef, drop off to 600metres within 10 metres off shore), but you will get more dives in from a live-aboard, of course, from shore it's usually no more than 2 or max. 3 dives a day. Sorry, can't help you with flights and packages from the States.
Regarding the time of year, I'd probably leave it until April, February is one of the coldest months, while in April even the nights are beginning to get a little warmer. We're not talking cold cold, but uncomfortably chilly after dives and in the evenings, especially as it's almost always windy.

Allen,

I live in Boston. Believe it or not, you can do the Red Sea for approximately what it would cost you to go to the Caribbean. The easiest way is to book a holiday from London. Then purchase airfare from Boston to London.

Whether to choose land-based or liveaboard is a personal question. Most daily boats only allow you two dives per day. Sometimes you can do 3 dives. Liveaboards will offer a lot more diving but Egyptian boats can vary from very comfortable to garbage scowls. I have heard many stories about broken engines and a lack of air conditioning. One of the "better" boats sunk last year. That was the Wildcat. My own reason for going shore based was that I was alone and didn't want to share a cabin with a stranger. The most important thing about liveaboards is to book through a reputable agent. If you have problems with the boat, you have recourse.

In the past I have used two tour companies. The first is Regal Diving. In 2000 I booked a trip to El Gouna, Egypt. Their local rep was great. I wasn't too happy with the diving and they arranged for a transfer to Marsa Alam. The Kahramana resort there as very nice and I was able to do daily boat diving at Elphinstone reef. In my opinion, this is one the finest reefs in the world. It is covered with soft and hard corals. Small fish are everywhere and you can see sharks on most dives. I spotted grey reef sharks. On other occasions a school of hammerheads can be seen. This would be my first choice, but bear in mind that you need 50 logged dives to go to Elphinstone. www.regal-diving.co.uk

In 1998 I used Crusader Travel, the British agent for Aquasport in Eilat, Israel. Crusader got me a good price at the Taba Hilton and a decent rate for the dive pack. www.divers.co.uk

Explorers is another agency. I think they own a hotel and dive operation, the Ocean Hotel. This is more of a low cost option. Sometimes they have last minute specials to Sharm el Sheikh for 199 pounds, including flights & Hotel.

My last trip was to Sharm in October. I did that on my own. For hotel I booked the Hilton Sharm Dreams for $40 per night on Hilton's website. I did my diving with Emperor Divers next door at the Rosetta hotel.

Hi there :

Try looking at www.explorers.co.uk , for a trip to Sharm El Sheikh, flying from Gatwick (London,) including your accomidation and breakfast you are looking at £300 for a week. Your diving will be approx £150 for 5/6 days diving on top of this (two dives per day.) I have been to the Red Sea twice, both land based, diving with Camel dive club the first time, and Ocean College (used by "Explorers") the second time. With both operations they always did a third dive, but i have to say Ocean College was much better than Camel, and the "Ocean Club" hotel which you would stay in for the above package is more than adequate to suit your needs. You also find that pretty much everyone staying at Ocean Club are diving with Ocean College, so you get to know people on the boats during the day, and then "hang out" at the sunset bar over looking the desert at night talking about the days events.

Both me and my girlfriend had a great time with Explorers and Ocean Club / College. My only warning is this, i am totally obsessed by diving, but by the end of the week, even i found myself sick of talking about the subject!:) But seriously, it is great to be on boats, and in a hotel where everyone has something in common, and is very passionate about it.

Any questions do not hesitate to PM me.

Look at the travel section of www.divernet.com for real last minute bargains from the UK, covers most UK agents travelling to most Egypt destinations and some liveaboards.

Alternatively get a flight only option from one of the companies listed there and pay $5 a night in Dahab...the real backpacker experience

Cheers

Conor

My vote is definitely on a live-aboard...I went on one in October last year (out of Hurghada) and the dayboats I saw looked more like cattlebarges than anything else...entry from those were of the go-go-go!-kind where each buddy pair runs/stumbles in while the boat is still moving. Dayboats also seem to move in "packs", once they drop their herd in the water things get crowded, I can just imagine what it´s like on popular sites like the Thistlegorm with all those people stirring up silt...

My live-aboard was airconditioned and cozy, during the week of diving I did we only saw other divers (there were only 7 of us) in the water on 2 occasions and unlike those on dayboats we could stay in bed ´til 7 in the morning and still have places like Elphinstone and Thistlegorm to ourselves and do about 4 dives a day...

I got a transfer to London and went with an English tour operator from there...Regardless of wether you decide to do a cruise or a landbased vacation I´d strongly recommend that you get in touch with the people who will provide your diving in Egypt directly to make sure that they meet your requirements regarding equipment etc. specially if you´re going to rent things like wetsuits or dive nitrox letting them know ahead of your arrival will likely save you a lot of aggrevation...

Just my 2 cents...

DesertEagle:
Allen,

I live in Boston. Believe it or not, you can do the Red Sea for approximately what it would cost you to go to the Caribbean. The easiest way is to book a holiday from London. Then purchase airfare from Boston to London.

DE is right on the mark with this one. We've booked a liveaboard through the UK that basically amounted to $2500 for the two of us for the boat & airfare from the UK. And that's for the Master Cabin on the Royal Emperor.

I saw something which noted (as a benefit, oddly enough) that the Kahramana resort has an open air disco... does that mean that no one ever gets any sleep at that place? If so, what are the other Mersa Alam choices, where one might find a little piece?

Thanks!

was at the kahramana in 2002 (end of may). have not seen an open air disco.

kahramana is a nice place. a jetty ist giving access to the house reef which i never dived. note, all diving starts with a truck drive (rebuild mid size trucks with seats on the loading platform). you can do shore dives (various sites) day trips and as described above early morning trip to elphinstone reef. liked it the most. be at the diving shop at 0530 hours get equipment ready, short drive (5-10min) to nearby diving camp, gear-up, jump in zodiac and off you go (20-30min boat ride). elphinstone reef is indeed excellent diving. most of the time drift. get back to base, shower and enjoy a long breakfast.
doing the shore dives you are always limited with your breakfast, unless you like to get up real early.

tip: doing elphinstone in the morning, have breakfast, take the free shuttle to the nearby swimming beach (5 miles). its very good snorkeling there and not to crouded.

would i go again: any time

general
first make up your mind what you're looking for. sharm dahab and hurghada are busy places with almost thousends of divers and party folks. however if you are into wreck diving then these are the places to go.

want to have unspoiled reefs, relaxing atmosphere and diving in one of the worlds best spots, then the south is your deal.

other places are:

lahamy bay resort my favorite at the moment

hotel zabargad

shams alam resort

www.add use google or come back, have to search myself.

cost: ex europe incl.flight 600 - 1000 us/week add. week 300us
10 dives 180 - 250 us (shore) tanks+weights

swisstraveller

Back
Top Bottom