Red Sea Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering a red sea liveaboard trip for winter of 06. My question is how to arrange it being from the states. I notice all the Red Sea travel websites are based out of the UK. Should I book a trip through the UK and just make my own way from NYC to England? Is that the cheapest way to do it considering how weak the dollar is these days? Also from what I have been reading a deadulus, elphinestone, and brothers itinerary is the way to go? I am new to the Red Sea and know nothing about it. I was on a similans liveaboard this winter and there were some people from the UK on the boat that told me the diving is great and good values could be had: but they were talking from the UK. ANy advice is appreciated. Thanks.

The places you mentioned are the bets for liveaboard.
As far as booking the place on the boat is concerned you can do it easily via internet. Unfortunalety I can't help you much with flight but most European cities have charter flights to Egypt which are much cheaper that regular flights - so coming to Europe and then taking a charter i think wouldn't be a stupid idea.
If you want to know more about Red Sea and Egypt - there is a lot of info in this section. If you have some additional questions - feel free to ask.
Mania
PS. BTW They love Americans and are eager to have you all guys back as tourists

Check out this dive op in the Red Sea. They run a class opeation:

www.redseaexplorers.com

Check out one of the better sites for info on the diving there:

http://www.redsea-diving.info/

BTW there is a chance that one or two of the charter airlines are either owned, or have a codeshare agreement with scheduled airlines from your part of the world.
If you find that to be a fact, then a "combination fare" might be possible. Saves a few bucks for the diving!
Coming that far be sure to do a liveaboard, anything else will only be sampling.

Seadeuce

Yes do that! Fly to Europe first and then down to Egypt from there. It will cost you significantly less then flying direct. That was the same thing we did last April, and it ended up being $1500 less overall. You have to keep in mind that traveling from Europe to Egypt is more frequent than from NA, so the prices will be more competitive. Also make it a trip and spend some time in Europe as well.

Thank you for the responses. So I guess the best bet is for me to book a package out of the UK which includes airfare. Is anyone familiar with the web site "red sea divers"? It is fairly extensive and has many boats to choose from.

I recommend booking through the UK. First, a good agent will take care of all the necessary transfers, etc. This is especially important with a liveaboard. For example, if the boat has a problem then the agent can get you on another boat. Also the aifares from the US to the UK are cheap. From London packages include a charter flight.

My own experience with Regal Diving and Crusader has been very good. A few years ago I booked a trip to El Gouna and while I was there I asked about Marsa Alam. Regal's local rep (Ahmed) was excellent. He arranged a transfer, no questions asked. Now that's service!

Explorers is another well-known agency. I've also talked to people who have used Tony Brockhurst.

I'm with the others. We made our arrangements for our Red Sea liveaboards through a firm in England. The prices are much more competitive, with a wide range of options.

Then we simply got the cheapest flights we could from the US to Britain. Sometimes there are some great seat sales.

Bonne chance,

I'm going on a liveaboard trip with Emperor Divers next week. I'll let you know how it went.

Laurens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom