Red/White dive flag or Alpha for shore diving off Cape Breton?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if it matters much because allot of the boat operators around here don't care enough, but if you are going to tow a float and flag the red and white is the most recognized
one.

Where are you heading in CB?

ZDD

The blue & white flag, also known as the "Alfa" flag is International Maritime flag indicating that a vessel engaged in operations that restrict in her ability to maneuver. The activity could include divers in the water.

The diver down flag, or scuba flag, is a flag used on the water to indicate that there is a diver below. Use of the diver down flag is not uniform worldwide.

In some countries, the practice is to use the Alfa flag instead. It is used to notify to any boats to steer clear for the safety of the diver.The use of this flag is required by law or regulation in many US states and Canada, as well in several other countries in the world. Usually the regulations require divers to display the flag and to stay within a specified distance of it when they are near the surface. As well there is often a larger zone around the flag where no boats are allowed to pass. Some states also prohibit the display of this flag when there is no diver in water.

Source:Diver down flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can find more information on Scubaboard's forum on dive flag awareness:
Dive Flag Awareness

Where are you heading in CB?
ZDD

Red/White packed in the gear bag. Staying in Baddeck. I was going to dive the Celebre but apparently the one and only authorized guide is out of town, Bummer. I'm sure we can find some other wreck dives:D

I want to do some shore diving as well, hence the dive flag/float.

Red/White packed in the gear bag. Staying in Baddeck. I was going to dive the Celebre but apparently the one and only authorized guide is out of town, Bummer. I'm sure we can find some other wreck dives:D

I want to do some shore diving as well, hence the dive flag/float.

I am sure that you will have a good time in Beddeck, I am not sure about the quality of the diving there as it is a lake but not too far of a drive there is some good diving to be done. If you want to do some shore diving I know of one small wreck in St. Peters that can be done from shore. We found this wreck by chance looking for bottles and scallops. If you google earth Saint Peters, battery provincial park you will see a small beach area near the entrance to the channel. Start your dive from there and head along the shore towards the light house. The wreck is located close to the light house and the shore. The main hazard to watch for is the current around the channel entrance and boating traffic. Bringing a float and flag is a good idea if shore diving here. There are some good bottles to be had in this area but collecting scallops requires a licence from DFO.

If you want to really get in a good dive contact the guys at Vipilodge and ask about diving the arrow. Also the Causeway Divers, I am sure they can help you out as well with some good sites or charters.

Causeway Diver Supply Location

Enjoy the very beautiful autumn in Cape Breton.

Please let us know how your trip goes, good or bad.

ZDD

There is a barge wreck at Grand Narrows (at the Iona Bridge). It is a shore accessible wreck dive with incredible marine life. It is the best shore dive on Cape Breton in my opinion. It is tide dependent though, so get local advice and a local buddy before trying it.

Grand Narrows, Cape Breton NS Photo Gallery by Connie Bishop at pbase.com
Nameless Wreck of the Barge at the Iona Bridge / Dive Spots / DiveWorld - uemis DiveWorld
caperdivers : caperdivers *** Post here for site information and a buddy ***

There is a barge wreck at Grand Narrows (at the Iona Bridge). It is a shore accessible wreck dive with incredible marine life. It is the best shore dive on Cape Breton in my opinion. It is tide dependent though, so get local advice and a local buddy before trying it.

And it's not a place where you want to be towing a flag on a float.

And it's not a place where you want to be towing a flag on a float.

LOL.. nope, I should have mentioned that! The current can be wicked in there, and while I've had a few truly "slack tide" dives in there, usually I see a bit of current. But, sure is a nice shore dive.

Does anyone tow a flag anywhere in CB? I can't say I've ever seen it but I haven't been diving there much in the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom