Redang - Ruined?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have heard rumours that as of last season the whole island and the dive spots in Redang was in ruins because of the building construction works going on there. The dirt and soil get washed into the sea by the rain.

Was wondering if anyone can verify this or give an update on the Redang scene? We're thinking of going up to Kalong for the Vesak Day weekend over 11-14 May.

Last time I was in Redang was about 8 months ago and the diving was excellent. I dived mainly the smaller islands away from the main island and didn't notice any damage, sediment (other than normal) or construction related damage.
Maybe some of the reef areas on the main island with hotels and roads have been damaged but I didn't dive those reefs at all.
You may want to contact some of the local dive-operators in Redang and ask a bit around.

Hi,

No worries, I will let you know ASAP, once get a latest information from island.

Traminer:
Have heard rumours that as of last season the whole island and the dive spots in Redang was in ruins because of the building construction works going on there. The dirt and soil get washed into the sea by the rain.

Was wondering if anyone can verify this or give an update on the Redang scene? We're thinking of going up to Kalong for the Vesak Day weekend over 11-14 May.

Thanks for this.. some friends just came back from the early bird specials in Redang and said that the beaches were ok. Some washed coral along the sand but its to be expected at the end of the monsoon season. They were not able to dive because of the currents tho. Would appreciate any feedback on the dive sites.

The weather is a bit weird at the moment in Terengganu. We've been having a few false starts this year - that means the weather turned fine until suddenly it rained cats and dog for a few days with sea swell. I was contemplating on buying the Laguna Redang early bird special too, but decided against it for monetary reason and hectic-schedule.

Not too sure about the "destruction" though. I'm going back to Redang in a heartbeat.

Just to follow up, ... Fins are banned for snorkelling in Redang, but still permissible for diving. Apparently there has been a lot of damage to the local coral and its heartening to see the authorities taking some measures.

-----------------

Taken from The Star Newspaper (6/Apr/06)

KUALA TERENGGANU: Forget about using flippers when swimming or snorkelling at beach resorts here.

State authorities have banned the use of flippers in a bid to protect corals especially in the coastal waters off Pulau Redang and Pulau Perhentian.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh said the state exco decided on the ban, which applies in coastal waters off all islands in the state.

However, it would not cover divers, he said.

“People who use flippers sometimes trample on the corals,” Idris told newsmen after chairing the exco meeting at Wisma Darul Iman here yesterday.

“This is especially true for those learning how to swim and staying afloat.”

Speaking from personal experience, Idris said he faced difficulties in balancing in the water when he first took up the activity two years ago.

He hoped resort operators would abide by the directive, which would be issued in about a week.

“I know some of them earn money by renting out flippers to tourists, but we have to protect the corals,” he said.

Idris said the state government had not decided on the action to be taken against those who flout the ruling.

Malaysia Nature Society Parks and Special projects head Andrew Sebastian said it was a good move.

However, he hoped there would be stricter enforcement on regulations in marine parks against the gathering of corals and shells.

“Although this is banned, tourists are still doing it,” he said.

Thank you for your sharing
Good Task....coral conservation

Positively encourage more people go diving now.....

Redang resorts can lift up banners like “ USE FLIPPERS, TRY SCUBA DIVING “ OR “ NO DIVING NO FLIPPERS NO FUN":usa:

Traminer:
Just to follow up, ... Fins are banned for snorkelling in Redang, but still permissible for diving. Apparently there has been a lot of damage to the local coral and its heartening to see the authorities taking some measures.

-----------------

Taken from The Star Newspaper (6/Apr/06)

KUALA TERENGGANU: Forget about using flippers when swimming or snorkelling at beach resorts here.

State authorities have banned the use of flippers in a bid to protect corals especially in the coastal waters off Pulau Redang and Pulau Perhentian.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh said the state exco decided on the ban, which applies in coastal waters off all islands in the state.

However, it would not cover divers, he said.

“People who use flippers sometimes trample on the corals,” Idris told newsmen after chairing the exco meeting at Wisma Darul Iman here yesterday.

“This is especially true for those learning how to swim and staying afloat.”

Speaking from personal experience, Idris said he faced difficulties in balancing in the water when he first took up the activity two years ago.

He hoped resort operators would abide by the directive, which would be issued in about a week.

“I know some of them earn money by renting out flippers to tourists, but we have to protect the corals,” he said.

Idris said the state government had not decided on the action to be taken against those who flout the ruling.

Malaysia Nature Society Parks and Special projects head Andrew Sebastian said it was a good move.

However, he hoped there would be stricter enforcement on regulations in marine parks against the gathering of corals and shells.

“Although this is banned, tourists are still doing it,” he said.

Prior to getting my scuba license, I have done extensive snorkeling and have never used flippers although my comrades told me to.

As an "avid" ex-snorkeler, I can attest to the damage people could and have done to the coral reefs around Malaysia especially when they do not know what they are doing! Some even blatantly used corals as launching pads to swim in the water.

We visited Redang over Merdeka last year and there was no fin ban on the snorkellers at Laguna Redang so it's great that this has now been introduced. It was hideous to see bunches of people having organised fun and trampling over the corals. We did our diving with Coral Redang and the sites we went to were fab and unspoilt (did think diving on Perhentians was better though)

Back
Top Bottom