Redondo Beach South Bay area diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,
I live in Georgia and are planning a trip to Southern Calif. in August. Not sure if this is where I need to post if not maybe someone could redict this to the proper place.
Thinking it would be fun to do a dive while I am out there so trying to find infomation.
I will be traveling alone and staying with non diver friends.
Not sure if there is shore diving around there that someone might want to take me and show me around. I would not be bringing gear as I just would do one dive. Probably would have mask, snorkel and maybe regulator. What mil wet suits do you use there in August? I remember when I lived there that the water is always kind of on the cold side. Not like what I am used to as I dive tropical. Just thought it would be fun to experience something different.
If anyone is interested and can help me out with a charter or shore dive I would be interested in hearing about it.
Thanks,
Lynn in Georgia

You might consider posting this in the main SoCal forum rather than the Trips and Marketplace area. There's plenty of shore diving and people to diving with you in the South Bay / Redondo Beach area, most common is Dive Vets which dives out of Veteran's Park in Redondo on Wednesdays. There's a lot of shore diving around Palos Verdes as well. 7mil wetsuit is the norm, with hood, gloves, and boots. Lots of dive boats out of San Pedro, or you could always catch the ferry over to Catalina as well.

A lot of the shore diving can be considered "challenging", but with a good knowledgeable buddy, definitely doable. Redondo beach (Veterans Park) is an interesting dive, but not what one might call pretty. Different. The DiveVets group is there Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings. You should be able to find a good buddy there, particularly if you post on that website in advance.

Exposure protection as stated by gbert. You can rent gear from Dive n Surf, Sea d Sea, Support Chalet, or Eco Dive Center.

As for charters,I don't get to go on them often so I'll let someone else chime in.

Redondo Beach is best done at night where all the nocturnal critters come out to play.

Consider Laguna Beach area instead: Shaw's Cove, Diver's Cove, Fisherman's Cove. Or do as Rex recommended, take a boat to Catalina and really make it worth your while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom