Redundant Bladders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) 65lbs is insane for a single tank. Try about 1/2 that, 30-35lbs. 40lbs is the absolute max needed and any bigger just flops around.
2) The dive rite classic 360 is a doubles ONLY wing that will taco like crazy on a single tank.
Yes, this will be used for doubles. I already have a Venture 360 that I use for singles.

So, any thoughts on using a donut style wing? I have been happy with the Venture 360 except for the seam of the bladder splitting open. Since replacing the bladder in the Wing, the wing has been working fine for me.

I have a Halcyon 55lb wing, and it is too big for when I dive my HP100s.

Tom

Hey Tom,

What kind of undergarments are you wearning and are you diving a steel or al bp?

I ask because I also dive a Halcyon 55# wing with hp 100's and I have often thought that I could get by with a smaller wing; except for when I add a deco bottle. With a deco bottle and full tanks the wing is pretty full on the surface.

I am also plenty heavy with no extra weight and just my 100's. I have been thinking of trying an al plate.

Thanks.

Hunter

Dive Rite isn't the brand of choice when you are talking about DIR...

I would refocus your sights on another manufacturer

Well, I can guess that most if not all of the Halcyon gear is likely to be "DIR." Well, I know many of you may think that this is silly, but personally think that the Halcyon gear looks a little flashy and I would prefer gear that is a little more understated.

I like the look of the OxyCheq Vertex Extreme Series Wing. What about the function?

I'd say the short answer is No dual bladder wings. GUE takes the minimalist approach by using the min wing size appropriate for the exposure suit and tank selection.

GUE recommends the wing should be balanced hence the trend lately of all the 360 degree wings coming out.

It further goes back to the diver being balance including everything from 1) environment, 2) exposure suit and 3) tank selection.

1) GUE's standard for Ocean Diving is twin aluminum 80s in a wet suit and if more gas is needed it should be a dump-able aluminum stage to prevent being over weighted at the beginning of the dive. I was instructed that one of the reasons for this is that time should be limited ocean diving because conditions can change so drastically and create many problems doing extended deco.

2) Exposure Suites for Ocean diving require 1mm wet, 3mm wet or dry. That's it.

3) Ocean / deep diving, Single Steel tanks are acceptable as long as you have a balanced rig and the only time double steel tanks are acceptable is if you dive dry suit, otherwise no steel doubles.

Cave diving on the other hand steel 104 and 120 are used to keep you neg during a low gas emergency......

:shakehead:

Well, I know many of you may think that this is silly, but personally think that the Halcyon gear looks a little flashy and I would prefer gear that is a little more understated.

I hear this every now and then and it confuses me because really, to me at any rate, it looks pretty much the same as everything else out there except for dive rite because dive rite has some f'd up wing shapes.

Hey Tom,

What kind of undergarments are you wearning and are you diving a steel or al bp?

I ask because I also dive a Halcyon 55# wing with hp 100's and I have often thought that I could get by with a smaller wing; except for when I add a deco bottle. With a deco bottle and full tanks the wing is pretty full on the surface.

I am also plenty heavy with no extra weight and just my 100's. I have been thinking of trying an al plate.

Thanks.

Hunter

AL BP, Halcyon 55# wing, 150g fleece undergarment, sometimes with thermal UW, and a 300g fleece vest.

My complaint isn't really the amount of lift provided by the wing, it is more the amount of floppiness the wing has when I am swimming around. For surface use, I like the amount of lift it gives me, but venting underwater is a little of a pain. I prefer my smaller dive rite wing, but it will not float my rig on the surface without me in it.

Tom

The older I get the more I wish I had a redundant bladder, especially at night.

That is not DIR, sorry. Your (pajama) suit is your redundancy should you lose bladder integrity. You especially do not want to bungee up your bladder! Remember that while DIR allegedly permits a variety of styles and colours, in practice your hose needs to be Black and no longer than necessary for oral inflation.

Remember, this is a team concept, no soloing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom