Reef Check in the new Marine Protected Areas?

Your thoughts on Reef Check in the new MPA's

• I am Reef Check certified and would be willing to help

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I own a boat and would volunteer to give rides to Reef Check surveyors

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I own a boat and am Reef Check certified

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I am interested in helping and getting Reef Check certified

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I wish the MPA’s never happened

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have nothing to add to this poll but want to click something

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone know what the plans are for surveying the sites like Saunders Reef and Arena Rock?

I see it as they need to have a baseline so there can be a scientific benefit from the closures. Then come back 5 years later and survey the sites again to see the improvements.

For those that don't know many of the North Coast dive sites are only accessible by boat, and if launching at Point Arena you have to sling your boat into the water.

The MPA's are set to take place April 1st
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/nccmpas_brochure_highres.pdf

Personally I am excited to get out and dive the sites this year, and watch the improvements over the years.

I would be willing to take up to 4 divers in single tanks (3 people in dubs) out in my boat and stay with the boat myself. I would consider these advanced dive sites due to currents and other environmental hazards.

Last edited:
Peter-

If you get ReefCheck California certified, you can assemble your own team and organize the surveys.

I'm in!

For more info on ReefCheck California, including what's it all about and how to get trained, see Reef Check California

Peter-

If you get ReefCheck California certified, you can assemble your own team and organize the surveys.

I'm in!

For more info on ReefCheck California, including what's it all about and how to get trained, see Reef Check California

I feel these dive sites should have a boat operator onboard at all times for safety. Therefore I am willing to remain onboard my boat as Captain, allowing others to perform the surveys. Although we could do two up two down.

At some point I probably should get Reef Check certified...and help out where I can.

Also hoping some BAUE members (Ben, Team Bunny, etc) would be willing to assist in the surveys as they have done plenty of them before and can bring in their experience and they are prepared to handle the advanced dive sites with no complications.

Hey I got Paulette to post :D

Peter,

I think Michelle B. is certified as Reef check and would be able to give back insight to this project.

MG

Peter:

Why not get certified and be the "data captain" for the team? In that role, you can design the surveys, assign the divers, assemble and report the data.

Timing is not right Oren. I was thinking of getting enough people together to get it done in May or so, right after the closure.

How about you volunteer to be the Data Captain :D

Good idea... it would provide additional data to any surveys that CDF&G intends to undertake. The more information, the better in my book (no such thing as TMI).

I signed up for the Reef Check certification class in mid-May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom