Reef Check in the new Marine Protected Areas?

Your thoughts on Reef Check in the new MPA's

• I am Reef Check certified and would be willing to help

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I own a boat and would volunteer to give rides to Reef Check surveyors

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I own a boat and am Reef Check certified

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I am interested in helping and getting Reef Check certified

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I wish the MPA’s never happened

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have nothing to add to this poll but want to click something

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting this. It is great to see people looking to engage in the MLPA process. You are correct in stating the importance of monitoring these newly managed sites as well as sites outside of managed areas to measure the effectiveness of the MPAs. There is certainly a lack of nearshore subtidal monitoring data in that part of California. To date Reef Check citizen scientists are the only group monitoring sites north of the Golden Gate, collecting data on fishes, invertebrates, seaweed, and substrate. We have been surveying Pt Arena both offshore and inshore of Sea Lion Rock/Stornetta since 2007 though we have not been able to do so every year due to the constraints of diving conditions and not owning a boat.

SeaGrant has just awarded several academic, agency, and NGO groups funds to do thorough baseline monitoring of the new MPAs from intertidal communities, to socio-economic factors, deep reef with ROVS, to kelp forest surveys, and on. Press Release

Reef Check has been tasked with continuing to do the surveying at the 5 sites we have monitored the past 4 years (Gerstle Cove, Stillwater Cove, Ft. Ross, Stornetta, Ocean Cove) as well as adding several outer coast sites both inside and outside of MPAs. We are now working through the logistics and options for boats. With our expansion in the North/Central region we are focused on connecting with ocean users and growing our program in this area. We could really use your help. An important thing to consider when aiming to collect data that can be used to measure the effectiveness of MPAs is whether that data is directly comparable to existing datasets (no use reinventing the wheel). We are using a monitoring protocol that has been designed and used statewide by top California marine scientists and recognized officially in a Memorandum of Understanding (http://reefcheck.org/PDFs/RC_DFG_MOU.pdf) by DFG and also recognized by the MPA Monitoring Enterprise to be useful in informing marine management. We don't endorse the specific placement of MPAs or other management measures. We endorse the use of sound scientific data in the decision making process of marine managers. We also endorse getting local divers with their invaluable knowledge out doing this important work!

If anyone is interested in taking part in surveys please sign up for a training (Reef Check California Training Schedule). We have two courses in Monterey and one at Sonoma State this year. The Sonoma State course is $100 (normally $200) with the help of SeaGrant funds. Please contact megan@reefcheck.org with any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom