Reef Depth on Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nubiesan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For various reasons that I prefer not to go into, I need to stay above 70 feet or so. Are the reefs that are accessible from the mainland shallower than 70 feet, or are they Coz depths -- 90 plus?

Wife and I dove three afternoon reefs and a cenote out of Puerto Aventuras last April, about an hour south of Cancun airport. Deepest we went was 64 feet, 41 feet in the cenote. I can't speak for the depth of the morning reefs, but all of them are within a ten minute boat ride (or less) of the harbor. They are so close you can easily dive two in the morning, two in the afternoon, or both. Don't know where you're staying, but Puerto Aventuras offers some very convenient diving. We dove with Dive Aventuras and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Look them up on the Internet if you're staying down south.

Thanks! I was worried that there was not a lot above 70 feet!

Wife and I dove three afternoon reefs and a cenote out of Puerto Aventuras last April, about an hour south of Cancun airport. Deepest we went was 64 feet, 41 feet in the cenote. I can't speak for the depth of the morning reefs, but all of them are within a ten minute boat ride (or less) of the harbor. They are so close you can easily dive two in the morning, two in the afternoon, or both. Don't know where you're staying, but Puerto Aventuras offers some very convenient diving. We dove with Dive Aventuras and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Look them up on the Internet if you're staying down south.

Agreed. We dove with this operation last year. All nice, shallow, long bottom time dives. Nice folks, decent boat.

My reef dives were off shore of Tulum, and the depths were never more than about
45 ft.
The cenotes were all in the 35-53 foot range, and that was in Dos Ojos, Sac Aktun,
Temple of Doom, and five others.
You will be fine.
Dive safe!

All the best,
Geoff

Along the Riviera Maya most dive sites are 5-15 mins out by boat. Avg depths are 40-65ft. There are deeper. Several in the 75ft range and some 90+, but most are shallow.

The health of the reef and marine life really depends on exactly where along the Riviera Maya you'll be. Some areas have gotten to a very sad state in the last few years with all the booming development and lack of any real environmental protections.

In the Aventuras - Akumal - Tulum areas diving is done as 3 single tank trips. First dive of the day will be the deepest and the last in the afternoon the shallowest. Check with the shop you plan to use and let them know about your depth concerns/limits. You should have no problem staying about 70-75ft.

All the best sections of our reefs and walls around Playa del Carmen are 70 feet or less, no worries! :wink: And boy have we got some reef scenes!:D Drop in one morning and say Hola while you're down!

We have in the Riviera Maya many shallow reef dives, less than 70 feet. As well the cenotes gives you the chance of a shallow and unforgettable cavern dive, average depth betwen 40-50 feet.

Nicolas

www.cenotexperience.com

Playa del Carmen

We've done some diving out of Puerto Morelos. The deepest we've been with them was 90 feet at the C-56 wreck. That was way down on the sand next to the hull. All of the reefs were under 70 feet.

Back
Top Bottom